The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IMAP - changed behaviour of keeping Sent items

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SupermanInNY, Oct 30, 2005.

1. SupermanInNY

SupermanInNY Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Since the Maildir conversion, I'm experiencing a problem of Sent Mail items.

Previously using mbox, when I was sending a mail msg via my IMAP account using Outlook Express, it would save the Sent item on the server.
    Now,. with the Maildir conversion, all my Sent items are acting like a POP3 account and are stored in the local shared Sent Items box.

This defeats the purpose for me to use an IMAP account as I don't have access to my sent items outside of my Outlook Express where as before, I had it available in Squirrlmail.

Now the IMAP option of having directories on the server,. is working!
    I can actually create directories on using Outlook Express and even move msgs from Inbox to the Newly created direcotry and that DOES show in squirrlemail.

So the mechansim of IMAP (having folders on the server) is working.

So, I'm confused with regards to the POP3 like behaviour that I'm experiencing.

For a brief minute..I reverted back to the mbox,. and it worked fine,. storing Sent items on the server,.. I changed back to the Maildir Courier,. and still same problem.
    Sent Items are kept locally when I press the Send button.

Any pointers?

This is critical for me as I'm often out of office and need access to my Sent items.

-Alon.

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Previously (i.e. in the world of mbox), IMAP folders such as Sent Items, Drafts etc were top-level folders, that is they were at the same level as Inbox. An example of folders as listed by Thunderbird (as I don't use OE myself) would be something like:

- Inbox
    - Sent Items
    - Drafts
    - Folder1
    - Folder2
    - Folder3

After the conversion to maildir, all pre-existing folders (and any new folders created from that point) appear to be subfolders of Inbox. Taking the above example, that would be something like:

- Inbox
    -¬ Sent Items
    -¬ Drafts
    -¬ Folder1
    -¬ Folder2
    -¬ Folder3

As a consequence, I ran into some problems whereby Thunderbird was failing to save messages to standard folders such as Sent Items or Drafts, as these were no longer in the same place on the server as before.

I'm not sure if this option is present in OE, but in Thunderbird you can choose which folder to use to store Sent Items, which folder to use to store Drafts and so on. I initially tried changing these settings but to no avail.

I eventually just killed all my mail accounts in Thunderbird and created them again and since that point all has been fine. Perhaps doing the same in OE may sort out your woes, or maybe OE lets you pick which folder to use for Sent Items etc.

3. SupermanInNY

I totally understand the structure. That was made clear very fast.

OE also has the option to pick where to save the Sent and Drafts.
    It has text boxes to enter:

Base folder Path
    and
    Sent Items directory
    Drafs directory

so,. yes, this can be done also in OE.
    However, I'm not sure what values to enter into the Base Folder path (showing as empty).
    Do I enter /
    Do I enter /inbox/
    ?
    What do you have in yours?
    Or was it automatically created for you?
    Even it was automatically created for you,. do you have the ability to tell me what is the path?

Thanks,

-Alon.

4. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

There doesn't seem to be such a setting in Thunderbird, so I can't say what Thunderbird would be using.

An educated guess suggests that the Base Folder path would be the path where all incoming mail is, relative to the mail user in question. Since there is no physical file server-side called 'Inbox' (or similar), I imagine leaving the box blank would be sufficient. I'm assuming however that this is not sufficient as if it were things would work and so you wouldn't ask.

Your best bet may well be just to simply remove the offending mail account from OE and add it again. As you use IMAP, you won't lose anything by doing this and hopefully a new mail account in OE will revert to some nice standard defaults that will work for you.

5. SupermanInNY

Unfortunaly, removing and re-adding is not working.
    Worst, I've simply added a totally new account and it only displays the Inbox.
    I'll try to play with TB and see if it works better.

Thanks,

-Alon.

6. SupermanInNY

Issue Resolved!!

ISSUE RESOLVED!!

I found the solution!!!!

inbox/

I've switched back and forth between mbox and maildir much to the dismay of my clients, and finally.. a lightbulb finally clicked!

In OE there Base path!
    I changed the value to: inbox/ (notice the Slash is after the X, at the end of the word).
    All of a sudden, the structure of the IMAP folders changed back to all at root level and sent items are stored on the server just like it used to when I had mbox.

So,. instead of the looks of:

- Inbox
    -¬ Sent Items
    -¬ Drafts
    -¬ Folder1
    -¬ Folder2
    -¬ Folder3

I am now using Maildier and I'm back to usual looks and feels Saved Sent items on the server and tree looks like the following :

- Inbox
    - Sent Items
    - Drafts
    - Folder1
    - Folder2
    - Folder3

7. myBox

myBox Active Member

Thank you!

very helpful.

now I will move all sent items from local to the server :)