The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IMAP Delete Help Needed

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by mxway, Jun 12, 2009.

1. mxway

mxway Member

I have a VPS server (cPanel) with LiquidWeb. Recently I have started to change from POP3 email for my personal email to IMAP. The problem is that the emails I put in my trash folder are being deleted (which I don’t wont, I just want them to sit there until I choose to permanently delete them).

I only access my mail through outlook and my iPhone.

This mean that one of the 3 are deleting my mail.

1. The server
    2. Outlook
    3. The iPhone (delete messages set to never)

Any ideas or assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers,

MX Way

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you cPanel system is using Courier then Trash is emptied every 7 days. At this time you cannot change this in the WHM interface. You can manually edit the /usr/lib/courier-imap/etc/imapd and /usr/lib/courier-imap/etc/imapd-ssl files to change or disable this. The files are fully documented and will point you to the proper setting.

If you are using Dovecot, then I don't know what is doing this, unless your provider has enable some script or service to do this.

You might also double check your Outlook configuration to ensure it is not purging the trashed messages.

3. mxway

mxway Member

Hi Kenneth,

Thanks for you reply. I changed the /usr/lib/courier-imap/etc/imapd only (not the /usr/lib/courier-imap/etc/imapd-ssl) from 7 to 0 but now its deleting them every day.

2 Questions

1. How do I disable this?
    2. Would you recomend using dovecot?

Thanks,