The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IMAP Down

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kthxbai2u, Jul 6, 2011.

1. kthxbai2u

kthxbai2u Member

Greetings!

I run ElektrikHost.com and have a major issue. The server was working fine, up until a week or so ago. Nothing on it has changed (except for cpanel auto updates)

All of the sudden, IMAP is down... I tried changing mail servers, to courier, but still not working.

port 143 is open, and my login info is correct.

I tried updating as well... Also, when I type "yum install imap" or "imapd" it says "no package ____ available".

This I imagine is because my provider BurstNet has used their own CPanel REPO mirror.

I would rather use CPanel's mirror, but cannot find where it is or how to change it.

Also, this doesnt look right:
    Code:
    root@ws0 [/etc/init.d]# ls
    ./  ../  cpanel*  exim*  fastmail*  filelimits*  ipaliases*  mysql*

I normally see Apache, etc. in there, I only have those now... I would imagine this is related? Actually, seeing that makes me afraid to reboot the server (in case it doesnt come back)

Please, any help is much appreciated, I have a business that needs it :P

2. kthxbai2u

kthxbai2u Member

I actually have got the latest install file, and have started installing over top.

I hope this will change my repos, because I want to get off the burstnet repos... Everything I try to install says "no package ____ available"

3. kthxbai2u

kthxbai2u Member

Ok, well, my CPanel reinstall failed...

Well, it succeeded, but all my old configs are still there, and IMAP is still broken :-/

I am off to work, any reply appreciated. Thanks!

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    If what you mean by this is a previous attempt to install cPanel has failed, and you're attempting to install it again without formatting the server first, I do not think this is the best way to go.

Also, cPanel after installed and updated takes care of updating system software for you. For a reason.

I can't comment on how burstnet operates, but you might ask them directly for assistance on this installation issue you're up against.

5. kthxbai2u

kthxbai2u Member

Yeah, it worked. Installing over existing was the best thing to do. In my case, anyways...

I know CPanel takes care of the updating, thats part of the reason I bought it. I am not sure you noticed, but computers and software dont always act the way you program them to... When automatic fails, manual action must be taken. I say I did a good job resolving that issue :)

I can comment on how burstnet operates, based on past experiences. They suck. They are mirroring your REPO's and only mirroring the stuff they want to.... Either that or their mirror has serious problems or it is possibly corrupt.

Your answer should have been "Using burstnet repos? WHY? You should only use CPanel repo's, for security reasons...". I dont care if its burstnet or Google hosting me, if I pay for a CPanel license, I expect the official software and repo's...

Thanks anyways for the response, even though you basically pushed me off to burstnet... Regardless of my provider, you should be taking care of the issue as it is your software that is not functioning properly. BurstNet I can guarantee will say "talk to cpanel" and then id be stuck in a circle with no problem resolution.

It seems the CPanel reinstall fixed it... I am not sure if I am still using the crappy burstnet repos, can anyone explain how to check and fix?

#5 kthxbai2u, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  6. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    The action taken in most cases is to let cPanel handle forcing an update to something if thats whats needed. If that update is not working as expected I'm sure cPanel wants to know about it.

These docs may be useful to you:

Using rpm.versions.local to manage RPMs - cPanel Documentation

And possibly this as well, pointing out where to edit your mirrors:

Error: Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository ... No more mirrors to try. - cPanel Documentation

I did not push you off to anyone, I suggested you speak with your server host. If you've purchased your license thru burstnet they are first on your list to ask about any issues. IIRC, burstnet is fully managed hosting is it not?