SOLVED IMAP Email Missing From 3 Months ago and Older

3awh

Sep 1, 2008
I have a client that is using IMAP for all accounts. There are about 20 accounts and not all are missing emails. There are directories that are sectioned off by the subject, all the older messages are present in the directories. in the InBoxes of some of the email accounts Its missing Months and Years of emails.
I'm using the Exim mail Server on my cpanel account.
I have CloudLinu 7.x installed. If there is anything you need to evaluate the problem, please ask
Thanks
Mitch

kdean

Oct 19, 2012
Orlando, FL
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Are they missing on the server or just in their email client? If just the email client, they may need to check their settings. For instance Outlook has a setting for "Mail to keep offline" that could be set so only the most recent emails are synchronized leaving old emails missing.

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I have stuff that goes missing from time to time, although this is really old stuff so doesn't particularly matter.
There are two of us sharimng the same IMAP mailbox.
I suspect that my colleague is allowing auto archive to run on his outlook client, but I'm not that bothered that I need to investigate.

Maybe worth asking the question ??

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
As the two previous posters have hinted, it most likely is something on the client side either with the mail client or IMAP settings that are archiving or removing the email, as email wouldn't be removed from the system unless something told the server to perform that action.

3awh

Sep 1, 2008
Are they missing on the server or just in their email client? If just the email client, they may need to check their settings. For instance Outlook has a setting for "Mail to keep offline" that could be set so only the most recent emails are synchronized leaving old emails missing.
On server and Client

3awh

Sep 1, 2008
As the two previous posters have hinted, it most likely is something on the client side either with the mail client or IMAP settings that are archiving or removing the email, as email wouldn't be removed from the system unless something told the server to perform that action.
archiving has been off the whole time.
The client is the only one accessing the account and the other email address it shared but with his wife and they didn't delete the emails.
The emails were there when the system was transferred from the other host.

3awh

Sep 1, 2008
Fixed Client had a service from sanebox that was Hijacking old emails and Archiving them.
Thanks all
Mitch

Reactions: cPanelHB