The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IMAP folders not showing up after ensim transfer

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Legin76, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Legin76

Legin76 Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are lots of posts on this but after searching for a while i didn't find the solution.

I have just done a transfer from an ensim server.

The customer uses IMAP for his email and has created lots of folders for them.

The folders have been transfered across but no longer show up when he logs in. He is using thunderbird to view his emails.

There are some large files in /home/username/ with the rest in /home/username/mail/domain.co.uk/emailuser/

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't use Thunderbird, but check and make sure that in his Thunderbird he has reset his folder list... i.e. make sure that he has re-subscribed to the folders. If he is using an existing configured IMAP account in Thunderbird, he'll probably have to reset the folder list (I think that's the term used in outlook) - I'm not sure the term in Thunderbird.

See if that fixes it.

Mike

3. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Do the folders display via webmail while logged-in as the affected e-mail account user? When testing webmail, please try all (3) available options to help verify the results, including Horde, SquirrelMail, and RoundCube.

It may be that Thunderbird is not subscribed to the correct folder list; like mtindor mentioned, it may help to access the e-mail account configuration in Thunderbird to refresh the folder list and verify they are all subscribed.

4. Legin76

No they do not show up in any of the webmail programs. I wonder if the files are in the wrong location of have the wrong permissions.

I'll try accessing it myself using outlook and create new folders to see what happens to them etc. If i can work out where the new ones are and their setting I may be able to apply it to the old ones.

If there is anything else you think i should try please let me know.

5. Legin76

Ok I've done some intensive testing in outlook, thunderbird and redcube and have worked out the following.

All three programs use the same method but effectively each of the email folders are found in /home/marine/mail/domain.co.uk/username and are basically a folder with a few subfolders one of which contains the emails as individual files.

Ensim creates a single file which contains all the emails which are saved in /home/virtual/site##/fst/home/usrname on the original server and end up in /home/username after the transfer. There is no directory structure they are just single files for each folder.

I've tried moving one of the ensim mail files to /home/marine/mail/domain.co.uk/username but despite many folder re syncs they do not show up.

From what I can see the folders need to be recreated then the large email files need to be broken up into individual files with the appropriate names then put into the cur file of the relevant folders.

I need an automated way to do this.

6. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    What method was used to transfer the account from the Ensim server?

If mail data was copied manually and if that was from e-mail stored in the mbox format, you will need to run the mbox to maildir conversion tool. Here is our documentation detailing this further including some of the differences between the two formats:
    MailDirConv < AllDocumentation/WHMDocs < TWiki

If needing to initiate the mbox to maildir conversion tool, including if you need to reconvert after manually copying data from an mbox-based system, here is the command you may use via root SSH access to start this process:
    Code:
    # /scripts/convert2maildir
    If the manually copied data was in the maildir format, or just as a precaution, I would check to ensure the e-mail data has correct ownership and permissions, using the following command via root SSH access:
    Code:
    # /scripts/mailperm --verbose

7. Legin76

It was done using the cpanel transfer system..

I tried running the conversion script from the the cpanel admin but had no luck.

It appears the script only runs within "/home/username/mail/" but even the one that I moved there did not work.. The ones in /home/username/ were not touched but I think they are in maildir format but needs the physical files/folders..

I've moved a second file to /home/username/mail/domain.co.uk/username and tried at again with no change.

8. Legin76

Currently the server is using the Courier mailserver. I'm not sure if this makes any difference but I'll convert it to Dovecot tonight.

9. Legin76

As suspected it didn't make any difference.

10. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Please consider submitting a ticket (via the link in my forums signature) so that we can take a closer look at the issue, including the directory structure and format of the mail files.