The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IMAP Keeps Failing

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by c0re, Feb 26, 2012.

1. c0re

c0re Registered

Hey community,

I have a rather puzzling issue with the imap server. It's running courier at the moment and recently (in the last 2 weeks or so) I've been occasionally receiving emails about imap having failed. Usually it corrects itself after 5 or 6 attempts, but there are also other times where it seems unable to start for hours on end. The email that I keep receiving is the following:

Now after some searching, I did seem to get it working again last week by doing the following:

/scripts/restartsrv_cppop
    /scripts/restartsrv_imap
    /scripts/courierup --force
    /scripts/eximup –force
    /scripts/checkperlmodules –full –force
    /scripts/upcp –force

Finally, I did also try switching to dovecot, but for some reason users still could not log into webmail on dovecot so I switched back to courier...

The problems returned a couple of days later, however, and I'm really not sure where else to look to solve this issue. Curiously, when I try to restart imap from WHM, it shows the following (but IMAP shows as down in the service status and it does not actually work).

I do apologize for being a Linux n00b - I spend most of my time administering IIS7/IIS7.5 servers which tend to produce much "friendlier" error messages.

Thanks for reading!

2. Promethyl

Promethyl Well-Known Member

Any resolution on this? I'm experiencing it as well.

3. wwwcad

wwwcad Member

Same problem here.

4. acenetryan

acenetryan Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

5. alexio

alexio Registered

I'm also just started experiencing this issue as of 5 days ago.

When you say to try increasing the authentication daemons...
    Mine is set to 5...which I assume is the default.
    Should I up it to say, 7, and see if the issue persists, or do you suggest a higher number?

Thanks ;-)

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Look for instances of "authentication error: Input/output error" in /var/log/maillog. EX:

Code:
    # grep "Input/output error" /var/log/maillog
    You will typically see several occurrences of this error when there are not enough authentication daemons.

However, it could also indicate there are IP addresses with several failed login attempts which should be blocked. For example, you can run this command:

Code:
    # grep 'LOGIN FAILED' /var/log/maillog|awk '{print $9}'|sort|uniq -c | sort -n
    Blocking the IP addresses that have several failed connection attempts (this is typically a brute force attack) in your firewall can be useful in these types of cases.

Thank you.

7. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Of note, if you have cPHulk Brute Force Protection enabled, it isn't blocking the courier LOGIN FAILED connections because cPHulk doesn't currently work for courier to detect failed logins. It only works for Dovecot. We have an internal case (39736) about this issue, since it cannot be fixed until the pluggable authentication project has been completed.

If you do have failed logins causing a high number of connections to Courier and in turn impacting services, you could always install CSF to block the brute force attacks on the server instead, since cPHulk cannot currently do it. CSF details for installation are available here:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f185/where-do-lookup-brute-force-attacks-243182.html#post1002822