The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Imap Logwatch Email

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by allwebnow, Mar 15, 2007.

1. allwebnow

allwebnow Well-Known Member

I keep getting a whole bunch of these messages in regards to 2 users in my email everyday and it's worrying me:

--------------------- IMAP Begin ------------------------

**Unmatched Entries**
    DISCONNECTED, user=xxx@xxx.com, ip=[::ffff:216.9.253.212], headers=0, body=0, time=0, starttls=1: 1 Time(s)
    LOGIN FAILED, user=xxx, ip=[::ffff:216.196.241.182]: 2 Time(s)
    LOGIN, user=xxx@xxx.com, ip=[::ffff:216.9.249.15], protocol=IMAP: 47 Time(s)
    ""
    ""
    ""
    ""

It's like they tried to login and then
    I looked up thoses ips and it looks like they're from Canada. That doesn't seem right since my users are from ohio and new york. Any thoughts?

I'm running config server's LFD and CSF. So I'm sure there's a way to block these ips' however, Like I said, there are hundreds of different ip's logging into these two user's email accounts....i think.

Can someone shed some light on this for me and for anyone else maybe having this problem?

2. allwebnow

Any idea on this? I blocked the range of ips using 216.196.241.0\24 in csf. Nothing happened.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Blocking them in your firewall is the best idea. If you literally used 216.196.241.0\24 it won't work as the slash needs to be the other way, i.e.:

216.196.241.0/24

If you did do that right, then you'll have to wait for the following days logwatch as the day immediately after will still have the failures from the same day that you blocked the IP range.

4. allwebnow

Oh my, yes, I did put it in correctly in whm but not on the posts sorry about my typo. Yes, I think it worked because I haven't gotten the email tonight. We'll see though. Thanks!

5. allwebnow

Ok, I received the logwatch email again. It's a similar but different problem. That 216.9.253.214 is listed even though I manually denied 216.9.253.0/24. It is still there but just once vs. many times. But now they've been replaced by localhost ip. Doesn't look right to me.

**Unmatched Entries**
    /usr/lib/courier-imap/etc/shared/index: No such file or directory: 2 Time(s)
    DISCONNECTED, user=xxx@email1.com, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], headers=0, body=0, time=0: 4 Time(s)
    LOGIN, user=xxx@email1.com, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], protocol=IMAP: 33 Time(s)
    LOGIN, user=xxx@email2.com, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], protocol=IMAP: 8 Time(s)
    LOGIN, user=xxx@email3.com, ip=[::ffff:216.9.253.214], protocol=IMAP: 1 Time(s)
    LOGOUT, user=xxx@email1.com, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], headers=0, body=0, time=0: 11 Time(s)
    ""
    ""
    ""

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

127.0.0.1 is normal, it's chkservd making sure that the IMAP service is up and running.