The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IMAP / Microsoft Outlook

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Juc1, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Juc1

Juc1 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi all,

I thought my Cpanel webmail used IMAP and that this meant that the email stayed on the server. I set up Microsoft Outlook on a laptop hoping that I would then have the emails on the laptop and also on the server but in fact Microsoft Outlook has sucked all of my emails out of the server leaving the server / webmail inbox empty so my inbox emails are now on the laptop but not on webmail.

Can anyone please tell me is there any way to restore my emails to the server? For example could I take a back up of my Microsoft Outlook inbox which I could then restore to my cpanel?

Thanks

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Sounds like you setup a POP account instead of an IMAP account. Did you use the Auto Account setup in Outlook, or did you click the box at bottom of Auto Setup to instead, Manually configure the account? Assuming you have this email account still setup in Outlook, look in Tools > Account Settings, the email name and type should be shown here. POP/SMTP or IMAP/SMTP

It's important to know this I think, if this is the only copy of your email you have, and the account is deleted in Outlook, you're done, possibly. All email will be gone forever if no backups handy.

Assuming it is indeed a POP account, and you need to get it's email into an IMAP account instead, create the new IMAP account manually, to make sure it's done as you want. On left menu in Outlook, you should see the new account listed now. For example if you created a john@doe.com IMAP account, you'll see john@doe.com listed on left menu now, with one folder in it's tree, Inbox.

Also assuming all email that downloaded from server is sitting in your default Inbox, were all other POP mail ends up. Move into that default Inbox where the mail is, highlight the ones you want to move, and then click, drag and drop onto the john@doe.com's Inbox.

Depending on how many emails you're moving, this could take a bit of time.

Depending on how you want your IMAP folders setup, you might want to create them now, before moving anything. In Outlook, right click john@doe.com's Inbox, and select New Folder, create the new folder here, and it's created on the server.

Drag and drop email to the new folder as needed.

HTH!

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Just to add here, I used the new Auto Configuration tool and it worked flawlessly for me here and setup a thehost.hostsdomainname.com with SSL secured IMAP email account as expected.