The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IMAP Problem/Question

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by LifeSteala, Dec 16, 2007.

1. LifeSteala

LifeSteala Member

Hi I have a hosting account that runs cPanel. I have 3 email accounts, kalpesh,forum,support.. I have outlook express and I am trying to setup imap.

I can setup imap, and on I have a folder, mail.domain.com (domain.com is an example).
    Under this, I see 3 accounts, kalpesh,forum,support as well as drafts and sent.

When I send email it sends it as what I set it up as in the wizard (kalpesh@domain.com). If I receive an email to forum@domain.com, and I reply - the from becomes kalpesh@domain.com rather than forum@domain.com.

Can anyone help me here? How can I reply to emails with the from email being where the email was sent to..

2. darren.nolan

darren.nolan Well-Known Member

In outlook express - add another account with the address you want to send from (this second account doesn't have to recieve emails, just be able to SMTP out of your server which may require a log-in authentication.

When you compose messages, you'll have a drop down box to pick which account you send from. There is an option (which is set by default from memory) - which says, always reply from the address in which the email was sent to. Do this so you don't have to keep switching accounts when replying. However, you must still have the account to begin with.

3. LifeSteala

LifeSteala Member

Ah okay - so I guess this is a bug which wasn't thought about when imap was invented.

If I did that, the replied emails ie sent emails wouldnt be logged/saved on the web then huh?

4. darren.nolan

darren.nolan Well-Known Member

No, they won't be saved.

IMAP is just a protocol to have what's on your computer (or multiple computers) be the same as what's on the server - always.

With POP you never know which computer might be setup to take away your important emails from your main terminal (takes a while to track who's played with settings).

You might like to consider using gmail as your mail portal. You can setup gmail to send from any email address (so long as you can receive an email from that address and confirm you are the owner with gmail) - and then have gmail use POP access into your account and take the emails it needs (you may add more than one).

Then when you send from gmail using any account - it will save a copy for you to see at a later date.

A note when using gmail - you may not forward email to a gmail address - if you do not have that address set to send and/or recieve from that address. gmail doesn't put these emails in your spam box - it simply ignores them. As I use many many addresses these days, but send from one account only, I'm no longer using gmail for this reason.

Hope this gives you some insight.

I would look around at other email clients (other than outlook express or outlook) which you may find do what you are after. Maybe Thunderbird, which I use, but not in this way. See if you can find anything on Google.

Cheers,

5. LifeSteala

LifeSteala Member

Thanks alot - I appreciate your reply.

I will go back to google, thanks again :)