The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IMAP problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marty, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Marty

Marty Well-Known Member

I really only have one client that seriously uses IMAP. He was extatic when IMAP was added as a feature of cpanel. However, he has now informed, me, after several days of testing, that the implementation of imap on my server is extremely slow. He says that every operation takes forever. If this was the average user, I would take it with a grain of salt, but this is a very experienced user with a good knowledge of imap. The last place he used it was on a RaQ4i server, and he says it was much faster.

Is anybody else getting any complaints about the speed of imap, or other issues?

2. Curious Too

Curious Too Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I had a user who reported the same problem -- it turns out his Firewall (Win NT machine) was blocking ports 143 and 113. After he opened those up he was able to connect with no problems.

3. Marty

Marty Well-Known Member

[quote:8cb196aaad][i:8cb196aaad]Originally posted by Curious Too[/i:8cb196aaad]

I had a user who reported the same problem -- it turns out his Firewall (Win NT machine) was blocking ports 143 and 113. After he opened those up he was able to connect with no problems.[/quote:8cb196aaad]

That is not the problem. He can connect just fine. He can send and receive mail just fine. But any operations that he does, such as creating and deleting folders is super slow.

4. JustinK

JustinK Well-Known Member

When I was testing IMAP it was slow as heck to and it turned out to be my home network's router's firewall doing it. It would connect fine, and collect everything, it was just extremely slow.

5. Marty

Marty Well-Known Member

Here is what my customer replied with:

&I have a home router, but it doesn't block anything going outbound. Maybe I need to direct those ports directly to my PC coming inbound or something.&

Is he correct that he needs to open those ports on the inbound side?

6. JustinK

JustinK Well-Known Member

Yep. That should fix it.