IMAP Server: Script to move messages to sub-folder

doni49

Oct 4, 2006
I currently use the services of fusemail.com to recieve my email messages. They have a system of rules which move messages to pre-configured folders when the messages arrive. I'd like to migrate over to using the IMAP server that comes with my CPanel vhost package.

Does anyone know of anyway that I can have something move messages to pre-configured sub-folders based on the message content?

And YES--I have used the search. If it's out there, I'm not using the right search parameters.

Thanks.

Last edited:

doni49

Oct 4, 2006
OK--I THINK I've found it.

PROCMAIL? Is that what I need? From what I've read that sounds like it. But I'm having trouble figuring out the install process.

I've seen so far is source code. I've never compiled anything on a nix box. All the PROCMAIL FAQ pages I was able to find seemed to say that I need to get shell access and run MAKE PROCMAIL. Is Make available on every nix box?

Last edited:

doni49

Oct 4, 2006
:(

I just heard back from my host:

When I asked about PROCMAIL (not realizing it was a full fledged mail server--thought it was just a filtering system), the following email conversation took place.
HOST: We already provide a fair amount of methods for the use of emails.

ME: But what I'm looking to do is have messages automatically moved to folders in my IMAP account when they arrive. I've been hunting and hunting for a method but PM seemed to be one of the only options I had. Are you saying there's something already installed that I can use to do this?

HOST: You'd need a semi-dedicated or dedicated server for that. We're using exim as mailserver and we will not change the setup on a shared server.

ME: OH--I didn't realize PM was a full fledged mail server. I thought it was just a filtering system.

Is there anything that can be done via Exim to move messages automatically?

HOST: You can setup custom folders and rules within your own email client - thats not something the server will do.
Can anyone think of anything I can do? I've investigated the possibility of piping my messages to a PHP script which would then process the messages. But I can't figure out how to have the script drop the messages onto the server. I'm able to have the script receive the message and then PARSE it to figure out what to do with it--just not how to drop it into place.

Thanks.

cPanelKenneth

cPanel Development
Staff member
Apr 7, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
You are correct, Procmail is a mail filtering system, not an email server. Exim already supports the type of filtering needed: both the native Exim Filtering spec and the newer Sieve filtering language will do what you want. However, after performing some tests, the Filtering interface within cPanel does not work for filtering to different Maildir folders.