The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IMAP Server: Script to move messages to sub-folder

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by doni49, Feb 24, 2007.

1. doni49

doni49 Well-Known Member

I currently use the services of fusemail.com to recieve my email messages. They have a system of rules which move messages to pre-configured folders when the messages arrive. I'd like to migrate over to using the IMAP server that comes with my CPanel vhost package.

Does anyone know of anyway that I can have something move messages to pre-configured sub-folders based on the message content?

And YES--I have used the search. If it's out there, I'm not using the right search parameters.

Thanks.

#1 doni49, Feb 24, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  2. doni49

doni49 Well-Known Member

OK--I THINK I've found it.

PROCMAIL? Is that what I need? From what I've read that sounds like it. But I'm having trouble figuring out the install process.

I've seen so far is source code. I've never compiled anything on a nix box. All the PROCMAIL FAQ pages I was able to find seemed to say that I need to get shell access and run MAKE PROCMAIL. Is Make available on every nix box?

#2 doni49, Feb 26, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  3. doni49

doni49 Well-Known Member

:(

I just heard back from my host:

When I asked about PROCMAIL (not realizing it was a full fledged mail server--thought it was just a filtering system), the following email conversation took place.
    Can anyone think of anything I can do? I've investigated the possibility of piping my messages to a PHP script which would then process the messages. But I can't figure out how to have the script drop the messages onto the server. I'm able to have the script receive the message and then PARSE it to figure out what to do with it--just not how to drop it into place.

Thanks.

4. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You are correct, Procmail is a mail filtering system, not an email server. Exim already supports the type of filtering needed: both the native Exim Filtering spec and the newer Sieve filtering language will do what you want. However, after performing some tests, the Filtering interface within cPanel does not work for filtering to different Maildir folders.