Impending End of Life Announcements from the EasyApache Team

ScottTh

Jan 28, 2013
Houston, TX
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Michael,

Could we get some clarification? The version of PHP 5.2 available in EasyApache right now is PHP 5.2.17. However, on the blog ( Impending End of Life Announcements from the EasyApache Team | cPanel Blog ), Scott states that it is PHP 5.2.9 that will be available via the Opt Mods page.

I'm sure that anyone who requires continued use of PHP 5.2 would want to be using PHP 5.2.17 rather than PHP 5.2.9. So I'd appreciate some clarification regarding which version of PHP 5.2 will be available once direct support for PHP 5.2 is removed from EasyApache.

Thanks

Mike
Hi Mike,

Thanks for pointing that out. It's a mistake on my part. I'll fix my answer in the blog.

You are correct that PHP 5.2.17 will be the version moved to the Opt Mod page.

Thanks!

nospa

Apr 23, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
I've opened feature request to leave PHP 5.2.17 as it is available now, without accessing any custom mods etc, but it seems that they have removed my feature request:

Error

So no one could vote for this...

It is hard to talk with guys from cPanel, because they think that they can do anything they want, just because they are cpanel team, they cannot understand that sometimes there should be other possibilites that the only true one they see.

I'm really sorry that I choosed cPanel 8 years ago, I should go with direct admin, which is more flexible and allow admins to better optimize / integrate servers with software they wants. Its my choice to use PHP 5.2.17, I developed my own way to patch PHP 5.2.17 against ALL security issues since it became unsupported by PHP dev team, and as long as PHP dev team will post their patches for 5.3 version, I developed my own way to allow users to choose between 5.2 and 5.3 versions of PHP - they are available in the same time on the server, while cPanel dev team can't do this over years. Now they change again again again something, and I will need to spend more time to search other ways to provide the same service I provide now.

It is unacceptable for me, but what I can do? Migrate 20 servers from cPanel to other control panel? I think this will be next step I will need to do...

I'm tired fighting against cpanel dev team visions.

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
I've opened feature request to leave PHP 5.2.17 as it is available now,
Your Feature Request title was updated and modified for typos.
Leave PHP 5.2.17 in EasyApache as it is available currently in EA 3.20.6

You can read more about how Feature Requests work, here:
http://forums.cpanel.net/cpfeatures.php

without accessing any custom mods etc,
That's the catch I believe. An official answer has been posted to your Feature Request:
We appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts on this. PHP 5.2 will soon no longer be supported by cPanel. The PHP development team has not supported version 5.2 in over two years. Providing an unsupported application via EasyApache is confusing and sends conflicting messages. To reduce the confusion, and provide clarity, we remove unsupported applications from EasyApache.

We understand that some people still need access to PHP 5.2, for a variety of reasons. To accommodate this, unsupported applications are placed on the EasyApache Custom Option Module site at EasyApache: Custom Modules (. Those who want to continue using unsupported software are free to download it from that site and install the software on their servers.
but it seems that they have removed my feature request:
/http://features.cpanel.net/responses/leave-php-5217-in-easyapache-as-it-is-availabe-currently-in-ea-3206

So no one could vote for this...
That's not what's happened at all.

It is hard to talk with guys from cPanel, because they think that they can do anything they want, just because they are cpanel team, they cannot understand that sometimes there should be other possibilites that the only true one they see.

I'm really sorry that I choosed cPanel 8 years ago, I should go with direct admin, which is more flexible and allow admins to better optimize / integrate servers with software they wants. Its my choice to use PHP 5.2.17, I developed my own way to patch PHP 5.2.17 against ALL security issues since it became unsupported by PHP dev team, and as long as PHP dev team will post their patches for 5.3 version, I developed my own way to allow users to choose between 5.2 and 5.3 versions of PHP - they are available in the same time on the server, while cPanel dev team can't do this over years. Now they change again again again something, and I will need to spend more time to search other ways to provide the same service I provide now.

It is unacceptable for me, but what I can do? Migrate 20 servers from cPanel to other control panel? I think this will be next step I will need to do...

I'm tired fighting against cpanel dev team visions.

No comment needed here I don't think.

MaraBlue

May 3, 2005
Carmichael, CA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Just like other times in life, sometimes you have to know when to call it a night and retire gracefully. We’re busting out the hard hats and crowbars to say goodbye to our old friends, Apache 1.3/2.0, PHP 5.2, and Microsoft® mod_frontpage, by the end of 2013. While they may be *End-of-Life*, they’ll live on in our memories.
Best EOL announcement, EVAR. :cool:

... I'm just afraid to ask about the crowbars...

MaraBlue

May 3, 2005
Carmichael, CA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
And another thing. It is UNACCEPTABLE to post such information on the blog. Who has time to read your blogs????
Anyone who runs a web hosting business. You can subscribe to the RSS feed, and the news comes right to you.

Last edited:

MaraBlue

May 3, 2005
Carmichael, CA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I think , PHP 5.2 should be available as currently by default in EA. You can mark it whatever you want - END OF LIFE, KILLED or BANNED but it should be available the same way it is now. Custom Mods isn't well shown, they are something that we need to dig again in documentation. We don't have time to read documentations each Apache rebuild. It does not cost you anything to keep it as currently.
Oh, but it does. It costs them in support. 5.2 has been marked EOL and unsupported by PHP itself, yet you're expecting cPanel to still offer it and support it? Because if they offer it as default (or anything similar), they would have to provide support for it.

cPanel has long been known for - if anything - being too slow to offer updated versions (Tomcat, anyone?), though there were likely reasons for this. I applaud them for this move in keeping up with current security standards.

No one is *stopping* you from running 5.2. You can never upgrade your server again.... that's totally your choice. Not at all recommended, but totally your choice. And I have no doubt the mods will frown on me saying this, but if you're half as skilled as you want to pretend (and have used cPanel for 8 years, and have a million servers, and whatever else), you'd have no problem with a custom opt mod.

From 5.2 -> 5.3 isn't that big of a jump, there's very little in the way of major changes. Unless you're running or allow very old scripts, you should be fine. Even vTiger 5.2.1 (released in 2010) runs on 5.3.

tl;dr version: You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Reactions: Infopro