The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Import BIND into DNS-ONLY

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Ferdinant, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Ferdinant

Ferdinant Active Member
    PartnerNOC

Hi,

We are preparing to migrate from 2 BIND NameServers to 3 cPanel DNS-Only servers.
    Does anyone have experience with this, and maybe some good advice? :)

We also wonder if the data from a BIND server can be imported into a cPanel DNS-Only server?

We prefer the lowest downtime possible for this migration, so we'd like to prepare as good as we can.

Hoping someone can help or give us advice? :confused:

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I did this when I originally moved over to cPanel some time ago now. You should be able to move the named.conf and zone files over as-is. The main issue is that cPanel does like the zone files to be in the format that it creates them with, and if they're not, if you edit the zones through WHM, they will no populate the forms correctly, so some search&replaceing might be needed on the zone files after copying them over. You do also need to have at least one full cPanel server as part of that DNS cluster.

3. Ferdinant

Ferdinant Active Member
    PartnerNOC

Thank you!
    We tested it, and it works perfect!!

My next question is:
    If we only convert one ( the other ones will follow ) server to DNS-Only, is it possible to let the 'old' BIND servers synchronize with this DNS-ONLY server?