The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

import cpanel account into vps with an existing account

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by juliep, Jun 22, 2015.

1. juliep

juliep Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi All,

I am just looking for a quick answer to a simple question which I can not find any answer to anywhere.

I am new to vps (had one for about 5 months) which currently has 1 web site on it which was imported from a shared hosting package when we set the vps up. All imported OK, easy process - great! :)

However, we would now like to import another cpanel account onto our vps from another shared hosting account (different domain name), but it has the same home directory name as the first cpanel account we imported 5 months ago. (they are both called home\lmssite)

I am unsure how cpanel/whm will handle this (and I'm a bit scared to try! I dont want to overwrite my existing web site files:eek:).

Does cpanel/whm tell you that there is already a cpanel account with the same home directory name and ask you to rename the new one?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Julie

2. juliep

juliep Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    My title is misleading - sorry!! It should read 'import cpanel account into vps with an existing account'

3. madmanmachines

madmanmachines Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,
    Indeed it does. Two cPanel accounts cannot have the same username. You should rename the account through cPanel.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can avoid any issues by renaming the username of the account that already exists via:

"WHM Main >> Account Functions >> Modify an Account"

Thank you.