The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IMPORTANT: All mail being forwarded to ssl@cpanel.net

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by dhost, May 24, 2005.

1. dhost

dhost Active Member

One user's account has all mail being forwarded to cpanel in addition to their requested forward. There is no indication in the setup of a directive to send this forwarder. Any ideas where/how to undo this?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Check the valiases file in /etc/valiases/domain.com and see if that has anything unusual in it.

3. dhost

dhost Active Member

Mail forwarded to cpanel.net

Chirpy, thanks for responding. I've checked that and grepped almost all directories but can only find a reference in /var/log/ files all similiar to:

/var/log/exim_mainlog:2005-05-24 08:08:34 1DaYD2-0008Iz-U3 => xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <other_user@other_userdomain.coom> F=<xxxx@problemdomain.com> R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp S=1468 H=server.hostname.com [123.123.123.123] X=TLSv1:AES256-SHA:256 DN="/C=US/ST=Unknown/L=Unknown/O=Unknown/OU=Unknown/CN=server.hostname.com/emailAddress=ssl@cpanel.net" C="250 OK id=1DaYAZ-0006ap-27"

4. dhost

dhost Active Member

Forward to cpanel

Note, ssl's were never ordered from cpanel nor a reason to communicate with them so it's a little puzzling as to where to track the directive to forward all copies of user's mail to ssl@cpanel.net.

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Ah, I see where you're at. I believe what you're seeing there is the SSL certificate in /etc/exim.crt and /etc/exim.key where SMTP over SSL (ssmtp) is being used. I believe that's just the certificate details (i.e. the email address assigned on the certificate) and is simply there for information on the default cert, it doesn't mean the email is being sent to cPanel :)

6. dhost

dhost Active Member

Mail forwarded to cpanel.net

Thanks, I just noticed it today and was obviously concerned about what was actually happening.

However, I just tested 4 other servers and it doesn't happen -- only the one domain on this particular server which is really strange to me.

7. dhost

dhost Active Member

. . . ssl@cpanel.net

Just tested a few more and it's not in any other var logs. I'll poke around a bit more until I'm comfortable with why it's happening on this particular domain only.

8. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I would suspect that it is talking ssmtp, or TLS, with the other SMTP server, i.e. they're communicating using secure SMTP with each other as they're both capable of it.

9. dhost

dhost Active Member

. . . ssl@cpanel.net

Thanks, that makes sense so I guess I can now move on. It was just bothering me because I didn't understand it.

Thanks again for taking the time to help clear this up for me.