Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

[IMPORTANT] cPanel Backups are not working (check your server!)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by advisor, Sep 20, 2004.

1. s_2_s

s_2_s Well-Known Member

When Are You Going To Fix The Backup Bugs

Mysql Backups Not Working

Home Dir Are Copies Empty

All Backups Are 1-24 Kb Only

Please Do Something We Have Been Wiating Too Long For This

2. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My backups are fine. did you do what nick said a couple of posts up????

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

If that is the fix, then it should be ported to a new STABLE release.

There is no reason why someone on a STABLE release should have to hunt through these forums for a fix to known issues.

4. JBapt

JBapt Active Member

updated and all ok with bakups. Tested them to be sure.

but oddly enough my exim.conf file was changed. Mine was customize and i stopped to receive emails.

after upcp did easyapache and my exim.conf was changed. Check you logs guys.

If one chooses STABLE, one shouldt worry so much about this things. Get it right guys.

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member Verifed Vendor

Exim.conf can be changed at any time after a upcp run if it upgrades Exim, or if cPanel Pro is upgraded, or cPanel simply decide to use a different configuration. If you want to modify exim.conf then you should do it through the WHM Advanced Mode Editor. That is the only way that you can ensure that your changes aren't overwritten.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. JBapt

JBapt Active Member

yeah.. i know that... and that was how it was done.

:-D

thks for the reply

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member Verifed Vendor

Ah! OK ;) It's a shame that there isn't a more flexible way of doing that, but they've come up with a (mostly) workable compromise.

8. dunno

dunno Active Member

Do you know if it solved the mysql connection problems (i.e. did you have these problems and did their patch fix them)?

9. dunno

dunno Active Member

To answer my own question, no it has not been fixed. I just tried the new account packager and it still fails.

10. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider

Nobody's has posted a ticket number that is affected by this, and I've yet to see a ticket on it myself. I can't replicate it on any test servers, which may mean that it doesn't affect most people and is probably specific to a few servers. So it will remain unfixed until a workable test case can be found.

11. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

It would actually work too - if there you were able to actually modify and/or add to more than a few places. We should be able to add information anywhere in the exim.conf - and have be able to work (no program-wise but configuration wise - not be limited to a couple of places. There are many ACL's and other modifications that just will not go in the boxes provided - not to mention not being able to modify the majority of the file.

Me I just chattr it and make sure I always run a copy before upcp runs. That way I know my files work.

12. dunno

dunno Active Member

Sorry, I can't afford to be a test case, especially without any recent backups.

But I'm willing to bet that you can replicate this on any large database. And I'm willing to bet that it affects nearly all cpanel users, as soon as their dbs are a decent size cpanel backups will be useless to them in this state.

13. s_2_s

s_2_s Well-Known Member

I Feel So Unsafe
    All My Local And Remote Backup 90% Are 0 Bytes And The Rest Are Without Either Homedirs Or Mysql

To All Cpanel Developer Safe Us

14. s_2_s

s_2_s Well-Known Member

add a timeout safety to the pkgacct/cpuwatch system to prevent mysql databases
    dumps from timeouts.

i read that just now in the change logs
    still unable to get homedirs included in backups so whating till you save me(us) from loosing our data because of backup bugs thanks alot

15. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

Have you tried setting the backup (local) to differential? Sine the files are uncompressed -0 you can actually see what is backed up and if you rename the directory daily to something else - it will recreate it on the next backup.

Not best idea - but you will know if it works immediately.

16. dunno

dunno Active Member

Please let me know if cpanel intends to ignore this.

17. casey

casey Well-Known Member

What part of that quote didn't you understand? If you have a problem then send in a ticket. Do you expect the cpanel staff to read not only your mind but the mind of your computer?

18. dunno

dunno Active Member

If reading-incomprehension is your beef you would do well to keep your distain to yourself.

If you read my subsequent post you will note that I am not willing to serve as a guinea pig for cpanel when I have no backups.

They asked for test cases and I can't provide my live site as a test case for them.

But because this is an issue I believe to be universal I gave them simple instructions on what I think will enable them to duplicate it themselves. They just need to test it on a large database.

And I am asking them if they plan to simply ignore this. Unless you can answer that for them, you might want to find a different outlet for your invective.

19. Marty

Marty Well-Known Member

And if you would read the change log you would find that they put in an entry that says they adjusted the pkgacct script to prevent it from timing out with large databases.

#59 Marty, Nov 6, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  20. dunno

dunno Active Member

Thank you Marty, this answers my question. Now to test it.