The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IMPORTANT For FreeBSD Users

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff75, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

I just wanted to make a note to anybody use uses FreeBSD NOT to install Mailscanner from Layer1 on cPanel's site. The MyDoom virus has been causing a lot of problems the past week so I decided to install an anti virus software to help filter it. I didn't see any note on the Layer1 page that stated that it was only for Linux server so I thought it would work on FreeBSD.

Exim has been screwed up the past 2 hours and the queue on my mail server has over 1000 emails now. Clients cannot recieve or send mail.

I have tried running the uninstaller for the Mailscanner script, replaced the Exim config file with one from two days ago, restarted Exim and CPOP and mail is still not going through. When I attempt to deliver it from the queue it comes up with:

Message 1AnjwN-000ItQ-LS is not frozen
    LOG: MAIN
    == info@domain.com R=defer_router defer (-1): All deliveries are handled by MailScanner

I don't understand why it is still saying this when "All deliveries are handled by MailScanner" was located in the exim config file and I replaced it with one that does not have this.

If anybody has any suggestions about how to fix this please let me know. I opened a ticket with cPanel about it a half hour ago and haven't heard anything back.

2. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

Well I finallly managed to get things running after about 3 hours. Now my server has over 17,000 emails in the queue and it's delivering about 1,000 emails per hour. What a total waste of a freakin' day!!

I find it a little ridiculous that I STILL haven't received a response from cPanel to my ticket and this entire problem could have been avoided if they would have made a simple note next to the Mailscanner that says (Linux only). Maybe one day cPanel will finally see the light and stop spending 98% of the time making updates for Linsux and only 2% of the time working on FreeBSD.

#2 Jeff75, Feb 2, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2004
  3. bjarne

bjarne Well-Known Member

I think cpanel have done good work latly with FreeBSD.

As of Mailscanner it would be good if they changed polecy from unsupportet to supportet. As far as I am conserned I rather would pay a few dollars extra to have antivirus supportet propper, in Linux and also in FreeBSD.

4. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

We shouldn't have to pay more just to have a feature on FreeBSD when it's offered on Linux. It's one thing if one O/S won't support something and one will, but if it will run on both platforms it should either be offered on both or not at all. We're paying just as much as Linux users and we should be able to have the same features.

5. sam80437

sam80437 Member

thanks to all and why is FreeBSD a lonely child at times

Thanks to all on this post as I was thinking of installing MailScanner on some of our boxes. Three of which are FreeBSD with cPanel. I guess we will continue to have to wait.