The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing HUGE Databases using CPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by underburn, Oct 7, 2004.

1. underburn

underburn Registered

My host is running CpanelX

I have a 50.7MB Database I urgently need to import yet my Host wont let me have Shell Access,
    Ive tried using the Backup tool's option various times, it takes a while to upload, when it says Database Restored, I go to PHPmyAdmin it just shows me a dash where the table numbers should be! It seems as if though its taken all that time just to create the database, when in reality the process should be over and done with!

InfluxHost.net says this is a bug, but IM not sure... can someone give me some clarification, please :confused:

2. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

It is unusual for a host to allow for 50+MB uploads via phpMyAdmin either because of file size or session time restrictions.

Will InfluxHost load your db for you if you upload it into your webspace via ftp?

3. SarcNBit

BTW, you should gzip the file before uploading it. SQL files are basically a collection of SQL commands in text format and tend to shrink up very nicely when compressed.

4. underburn

underburn Registered

WOW, I just zipped it now its 14.3MB's Influx refuses to do it themselfs.

Ill GZip it, is it possible to do it through CPX while compressed?

5. AbeFroman

AbeFroman BANNED

Find a new host

6. SarcNBit

Recent versions of phpMyAdmin support uploaded gzipped files.

14.5M may still be too large though, and the overhead of compression will add to the session time.

There are plenty of hosts that do not offer shell access. I do find it strange that a host would be unwilling to assist a new customer with this one-time migration issue. Once the file is loaded it would be a simple matter for them to restore the db via shell.

An alternative would be to split the sql file into approximately 2MB pieces and load them sequentially. There are a few utilities that exist for that purpose, but you can also do it by hand. Just make sure you do not split the file in the middle of a command (look for semicolons).

7. anup123

anup123 Well-Known Member

Two Reasons:

These 4.99$/Mo Accounts are like these. You get what you pay for.
    They must not be aware how to do it themselves :)

Anup

8. underburn

underburn Registered

nice guess, but thats not entirely true. At least the first half isnt ;)

9. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

In todays world I bet half of the "companies" out there are just server newbies who get a cheap server and put up a website to start the sales. They know very little and charge so little that they can't take time to help out anyway.

Any decent host will allow shell access on an as needed basis, or be willing to do tasks requiring shell for you. There are times when something has to be done by shell. Someone has to do it.

10. underburn

underburn Registered

I agree, I hate this host... I wont be staying with them, CPanel let me do it after I zipped it. Thank you all!

11. anup123

anup123 Well-Known Member

Anyway, since your host is hell bent not to help you out, and PhpMyAdmin doesn't seem a workable proposition, i remeber a script which lets you run the sql query from file on disk (server). Just been a long time so can't exactly recall where, but i had used it long time back (six years may be) when i was in a similar situation as you.

Another option would be let someone write something in php or cgi which achieves the same purpsoe. on cgi/perl, i think forum member Chirpy could be of help...

It's really sad that hosts are so very uncooperative ... 50MB database import doesn't take more than a minute or two if the guy knows his job.

Anup

12. fishfreek

fishfreek Well-Known Member

There is a program out there that breaks up large sql files into smaller files of a prefedined size. Think of it like winrar for mysql dumps. Im glad to see you go it to work with the gziped version. Its crazy the host would not import the DB for you. It would take just a few minutes to do the import via the command line. That includes the time to login and logout even.

13. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    For future reference, MySQL Front is an excellent program for handling this kind of task.