The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

importing md5 hash passwords when making pops

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by nyjimbo, May 14, 2008.

1. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

importing des/md5 hash passwords when making pops

I posted a similiar thread a while ago but found a different way of setting things up and now have a different question.

On some of our non-cpanel FREEBSD boxes we want to move a hundred or so pop3 accounts on one domain to a cpanel box. We created the domain/account and then using addpop in /scripts we created the hundred or so email accounts. However we had to just put in a generic password because of course we cannot extract passwords from the non-cpanel boxes des or md5 hash in master.passwd.

We CAN extract the username and password in the hash format from the old password file on the old server but not decrypt it so what I was wondering, is there a way to get addpop to use the existing DES or md5 hash password when building the pop3 accounts?.

Normally we do "./addpop bob@whatever.com bobspasswd"

I would like to do "./addpop bob@whatever.com $1a.c9583/cg$30930"or use the encrypted password from the old password file.

We have moved many older users from one freebsd box to another by just copying master.passwd, editing it as needed and doing a pwd_mkdb, but I see that cpanel creates a "passwd" and a "shadow" in the /etc folder for the domain and not a "master.passwd" so I am sure its doing something different. Has anyone done this with cpanel?. I really would like to use the existing passwords and not have to go through the nightmare of telling a hundred people their new password or waiting for complaints from people who cannot login to email anymore.

Thanks. :)

#1 nyjimbo, May 14, 2008
    Last edited: May 14, 2008
  2. snapfrozen

snapfrozen Registered

I've got exactly the same issue and posted the same question a few months back with no replies

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=75357

It would be great to know if this is possible as surely this is a common issue..

- snap

3. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You could just dump the hash in ~user/etc/domain.com/shadow. cPanel will auto rebuild its caches when it sees the file changed.

4. Erskine

Erskine Registered

Hi Nick,

I am working on a similar problem. I've created the email account, removed the existing password from ~user/etc/domain.com/shadow and replaced it with an MD5 hash from the old server, restarted pop, and attempting to login as that user fails.

Does exim need to be setup to handle MD5 in the shadow file? What actually triggers cpanel to suddenly read and understand MD5 from the shadow?

Cheers.

5. ToddShipway

ToddShipway Well-Known Member

Would it be possible to open a ticket with this infomation so we can take a deeper look into this?