The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improving SPAM filtering Questions

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Metalmurphy, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Metalmurphy

Metalmurphy Member

Feb 3, 2013
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello everyone,

I'm not very satisfied with the current level of SPAM filtering in our server using cPanel and SpamAssassin and I'm looking for ways to improve it, however I have some questions on some of the changes I wanted to make, some I'm not even sure if are possible but maybe someone here can land me a hand with these.

- Custom RBLs
    As of now using custom RBLs means that the email will be rejected at exim, completely ignoring any cPanel filters (like move to a Spam folder) or the SpamAssassin Whitelist. Is there a way to use Custom RBLs in a way that it assigns the message a certain Spam Score but doesn't flatout reject it?

- Default Global/Mail filters for cPanel accounts
    Is there a way I can configure default Global/Mail account filters so that they are automatically created when a new cPanel account or E-mail account is created? I wanted to have 2 filters always created for any old or new account that would basically delete or move to spam folder any message with the spam score above a certain value.

- Can I edit values for certain pre-existing rules, for example let's say I want
    RCVD_IN_SORBS_SPAM to receive a 5.0 value instead of 0.5, is it possible?

Many thanks in advance.
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

There's a post here that explains how to do this:

New anti-spam DNSBL in the works -- looking for testers

It's also a useful thread if you are looking for an additional way of blocking SPAM.

You could implement a custom script that hooks into the email account creation process, but you may find a global system filter rule more effective. It's documented at:

How to Customize the Exim System Filter File - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Yes, using the method referenced in the post above:

New anti-spam DNSBL in the works -- looking for testers