The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

INBOX folder = INBOX\Sub-Folder of diff user? Possible?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by doni49, Sep 3, 2009.

1. doni49

doni49 Well-Known Member

I have a Blackberry that access my email via the IMAP protocol. The only problem is that BB can only access email that is in the INBOX as opposed to a sub-folder of INBOX (very much like POP does).

But I've got email forwarders so that ALL messages addressed to personalmail@domain.com gets redirected to commonAddress@domain.com Then rules recognize that the message was for personalmail@domain.com and move the message to INBOX\PersonalMail.

There are several other email forwarders like this along with corresponding rules.

But all of this means that my BB can't access my messages because they're not in INBOX.

I need to figure out a way to have the BB access a user account called BBPersonal@domain.com and have the server think that BBPersonal's INBOX is the same folder as common's INBOX\PersonalMail.

I was thinking about creating a symlink that says /home/username/mail/.BBPersonal is the same as /home/username/mail/.common/PersonalMail/

Is this a good method? Or does someone have an alternative method I could use?

I'm on a LAMP server if that matters.

TIA!

2. MattCurry

MattCurry Well-Known Member

Blackberry Support

Hello,

I could see how that would be a problem, however this is more of a blackberry setup issue than it would be a server configuration. Although it is not something we could support. I have attached a link to a how-to on this subject. Blackberry hacks - Google Books

Thank you,
    Matthew Curry

3. doni49

doni49 Well-Known Member

Yeah--I wasn't really looking for Blackberry support--I just offered that info as background. I was here looking for a way to allow an email client (which happens to be a BB) to login to one account and have it's INBOX show the contents of a sub-folder from a different account's INBOX.

I've ready that some MTAs can be processed to do this. And I was hoping that I could do something similar here. I will check out the links provided though.

Thanks!

4. MattCurry

MattCurry Well-Known Member

Blackberry Support

Hello,

Sure I do apologize for the mix up. I think we would need to go ahead and submit a ticket to see if this can be done. Alternatively, you could create a secondary email account and have a copy of the user's mail forwarded to that new inbox for the mobile devices. The link to submit a ticket is at the bottom of this post, please let me know if you still have questions.

Thank you,
    Matthew Curry