The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inbox just grows...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BC, Nov 21, 2005.

1. BC

BC Member

Feb 15, 2002
    I have an older RH 7.3 box w/CPanel. I have approx 35 domains on this box. Lately, I've been getting drive space warnings. It appears the problem is that emails are not getting deleted once they've been read via POP3.

To be honest, I'm a bit confused with the number of inboxes per account... (with SQmail, hourde, neomail, etc).

Here's an example.

/home/adminxxx/mail has an inbox of over 1 GB. I do a more inbox on it and the first message in the inbox is approx 2 years old! I think this is the DOMAIN's inbox, right?

Then there are individual mailbox folders... but one of them is so i go there and see folders for each mailbox within the domain. BUT IF YOU GO BACK ONE LEVEL, there is also a folder for each mailbox within the domain!

So we have:

ok... so there are two questions...

1. Why is the domain's inbox never cleaned?
    2. why are there two distinct inboxes (folders) for each mailbox?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC :D
  2. DigitalSurgeon

DigitalSurgeon Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2005
    The inbox file /home/username/mail/inbox is for the default email address that is by default created and is of the same name as of Cpanel username.

When you create an email account then those email accounts are created as /home/adminxxx/mail/ and inside the username folder you will find the email files for that specific account.
  3. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2003
    New York
    Many users set their outlook to "leave mail on the server" after they read it. Friends tell each other to do this so they can go back and read it with webmail or so they can get it if they ever need it again.

Problem is that these mail boxes grow to astronomical sizes and what makes matters worse is that they do pop3 pulls every 60 seconds. Many people leave this stuff running all day and it can kill a server.

I leave it up to you to guess what your options are. However I would never tell anyone if you take a drastic measure and do a little pruning or trashing, you set yourself up for some serious trouble if you do.