The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Include home dir with migration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by egrueda, Aug 1, 2011.

1. egrueda

egrueda Member

Hi all.
    I'm moving some accounts from another cpanel server to my new WHM 11.30.1.4
    I want to transfer all settings and web pages, so I keep unchecked "Skip homedir:" checkbox.
    But anyway I get homedir skipped:

Code:
    Packaging the account: (/usr/local/cpanel/scripts/pkgacct --skiphomedir useraccount "" --split --compressed --mysql 5.1)... 
    Why is it skipping home dir if checkbox is clear? is it a bug?
    How should I migrate it including home dir?

Thanks.

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please provide details on which WHM > Transfers section was used and the exact settings selected there. If you could also indicate your cPanel version on the source (old) cPanel machine along with the OS version:

Code:
    cat /usr/local/cpanel/version
    cat /etc/redhat-release

3. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

I was wondering/seeing the same thing. When transferring from svr02 to svr03, I saw the same note in the script. It appears to have streamed the homedir. Is that the expected operation? If not, what's the difference, and/or what it the expected operation?

This occured on both single and multiple-account transfers.

svr02 (source)
    WHM 11.30.2 (build 1)
    CENTOS 5.6 i686 standard on svr02

svr03 (destination)
    WHM 11.30.2 (build 1)
    CENTOS 5.6 x86_64 standard on svr03

4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm still confused on what settings were chosen and what resulted. The first user, egrueda, appeared to indicate that skiphomedir was not chosen but the homedir was skipped, while you are indicating that it streamed the homedir when you did select to skip it? I am not certain if you chose to skip it as the options selected weren't indicated in the post.

To ensure we are properly understanding what is happening, which specific options are being chosen and what is resulting that shouldn't be occurring?

5. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

Because I'm not sure WHAT is supposed to happen, I'll describe what I'm seeing:

copy a single account from svr02 to svr03, the 'skip homedir' box is UNchecked.

When the script starts to run, I can see that the pkgacct cmd line has the option --skiphomedir accountname present.

When the transfer runs, the homedir is then streamed.

A) should --skiphomedir be present when the box is unchecked?
    B) what is the expected difference in the transfer between having 'skip homedir' checked or unchecked?

6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is the user's home directory being transferred? When "skip homedir" is not checked, then the home directory for the user should be transferred.

Whether it is transferred during the initial account transfer or not will depend on whether "Use Incremental Backups speed-up:" is checked on the first screen in WHM > Transfers > Copy multiple accounts/packages from another server area. If the user has their home directory in incremental backups, those will be used instead and not packaged. This doesn't mean that the home directory will actually be skipped.

Thus, is the home directory being transferred with the account and, if so, is ""Use Incremental Backups speed-up:" checked on the first screen? If it is, do you have incremental backups on the machine that can be used for the transfer?