Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Include the cloudflare plugin in cPanel Install?

Discussion in 'Security' started by durangod, Oct 16, 2018.

1. durangod

durangod Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi, so it seems the only way to hide our main server IP when using cloudflare is to install the cloudflare plugin here

cloudflare/Cloudflare-CPanel

while setting up our CSF firewall they have added settings in the event you have this plugin. However it seems cPanel does not include the plugin in its install of WHM as a feature. It seems cPanel used to support cloudflare on the main server IP but no longer does. So it would be logical that if there is a way for us to hide our main server IP using this plugin and other companies have embrased this plugin that cPanel would at least include it as part of its WHM install or at least have a clear document telling us how to hide our main server ip.

I have tried several times to install this plugin and each time it tells me

i have tried a API key from WHM and also the global key from Cloudflare, and same message.

So can someone please tell me how to do this and also please add this plugin as a feature so we dont have to go through this to install it.

UPDATE: so i guess from research so far that you have to be a CF reseller host to get a host api key. So that means that the average person cant add the CF plugin to thier cpanel so so we are excluded from hiding our main server IP.... :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 durangod, Oct 16, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @durangod

You can still use CloudFlare without the plugin installed. Just go to Cloudflare - The Web Performance & Security Company | Cloudflare and sign up for a free account and follow the instructions to point your nameservers to the ones they give you.

As for shipping CloudFlare with cPanel, as you found out that plugin is only available if your host is a partner/reseller so in the event you or they aren't it won't be available. We don't typically ship 3rd party software with the cPanel product either.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. durangod

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi and thanks for the reply. I apologize for not being clearer. :) I already have CF setup and have been using it for months. The problem is that although i can pass my other records through cloudflare and hide my ip. I cant do that with the main server IP because cPanel does not allow that. So when you get right down to it, if someone gets my main server IP they can pretty much guess all my other IP's because they are consecutive.

So bottom line is other that saving money on hosting the CF account really does nothing for the average person using it. Because the average person is not a host and cant install or use the plugin on their personal cPanel account. I will bring this up with CF as well but it just seems unfair and unnecessary to block the average person from protecting themselves the same as everyone can who pays for hosting and that host having a host key.

So how am i suppose to hide my main server IP, just tell people dont look at it? lol :)

4. cPanelLauren

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You can use the main server IP but you wouldn't be able to use proxy subdomains properly. If you obfuscated the main IP with CloudFlare you'd need to access your WHM/cPanel with the IP and port number rather than whm.domain.tld

Thanks!

Anupam SG likes this.
  5. durangod

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Actually thats not bad at all, accessing it via ip only is a step in the right direction at least :) thanks for the tip :)

cPanelLauren likes this.
  6. durangod

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    That works great, i set the orange cloud on the whm and hostname in CF and it works great, in testing one pulls up a 404 and the other one loggs in but once you click on anything it logs you out (which this time is what we wont to happen).

However, there is one little glitch in our plan, ssl certs dont work on IP's sadly lol

So to do it this way ill either have to use it unsecured,go with the dedicated IP deal, or ill have to somehow get the server to accept the ip:port login but then jump over to either whm.example.com or hostname.example.com and make that work while im inside whm. And i dont suppose thats gonna work as i expect. Gotta take the good with the bad i guess. :)

7. cPanelLauren

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @durangod

Actually, the SSL cert is working your browser is yelling at you that it doesn't cover the domain, which it doesn't as an SSL certificate cannot be issued to an IP address. The connection is still secured though it is an SSL certificate name mismatch all cPanel services are covered themselves with the hostname certificate, whether or not you're using the IP address or not.