incoming email and RBL blocks

tcnolan7

Dec 30, 2016
USA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hi all, we are having issues with good emails being rejected due to RBLs. It seems to have started within the last month. In WHM I checked and we have spamcop and spamhaus enabled.

But lately we seem to see rejections and no RBL is listed:
JunkMail rejected - o26.ptr649.driptransact2.com [149.72.153.29]:4784 is in an RBL:

The above was a newsletter that I receive from Drip email marketing. I checked and I have been receiving those emails fine up until March, 2 in the last few weeks soft bounced with a JunkMail rejected error.

So 2 questions...Why is there no RBL listed? and do the RBL checks always happen before whitelists are checked?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! Odd things have happened with the RBL providers before. For example, Spamcop once let their domain expire:

Can you try disabling the RBLs one at a time to see if having either of them disabled fixes the issue?

tcnolan7

Dec 30, 2016
USA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Thank you for your response. I turned off spamcop and did a test from both Mailchimp and Drip and all those emails came thru. I turned it back on and some were rejected.

I'll leave spamcop off for now and watch the delivery reports.

One more question...is there a reason we would be seeing this type of error from spamhaus:
[192.254.112.219]:10984 is in an RBL: Error: open resolver; DNSBL Error Code - Open/public resolver - The Spamhaus Project

Again that was an email being sent from Drip.

Is that error due to an issue with how our web host has spamhaus setup or how they query it?

Thank you.

anton_latvia

PartnerNOC
May 11, 2004
Latvia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Yes, turned out to be the case for use (were using CloudFlare's and Google resolvers). But this time /var/log/exim_mainlog the error message was "Error: open resolver"

Looks like SpamHaus specifically denies these now. Switched to data center resolvers and error stopped right away (of course, you want to restart exim).

tcnolan7

Dec 30, 2016
USA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Yes, turned out to be the case for use (were using CloudFlare's and Google resolvers). But this time /var/log/exim_mainlog the error message was "Error: open resolver"

Looks like SpamHaus specifically denies these now. Switched to data center resolvers and error stopped right away (of course, you want to restart exim).
I checked and our server is using 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9 for resolvers. That may explain why one test I did to 2 of our email addresses (sending from the same ip) one email was accepted and one was rejected.

I can't seem to get much help from the web host. Is there another resolver I can use besides Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1?

Thank you.

anton_latvia

PartnerNOC
May 11, 2004
Latvia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I can't seem to get much help from the web host. Is there another resolver I can use besides Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1?
I would not trust any public resolvers - you should contact hosting provider. Biggest providers usually publish such information - your supplier might be a reseller and such resolvers might belong to bigger provider. As alternative you can always setup your own small VPS for these needs.

Reactions: tcnolan7 and cPRex