The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Incoming email messages hung, then flushed at once day(s) after being sent

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by joshncsu, Jan 2, 2013.

1. joshncsu

joshncsu Registered

Mar 23, 2012
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So this has been going on for a few months, and as far as I know, it happens with 1 email address that many clients send messages to (support). Emails that are sent TO the mail hosted on the cpanel server are being accepted ("Message Accepted" in cpanel Mail Delivery Reports) and logged (/var/log/exim_mainlog, no errors) almost immediately, but they don't show up in the recipient mailbox right away. In some cases, many messages get hung up for days and then all of a sudden they are all flushed and received. I hesitate to use the word "queued" because none of the messages are in the exim queue (exim -bp) nor the cpanel Mail Queue (which may use exim for all I know?), but otherwise it does feel like they are queued somewhere.

The email server has relatively low traffic, so it's not a bandwidth issue. I don't think it's a DNS issue because the email and DNS has been the same for years and hosted at the same place. Any help to debug this problem will be greatly appreciated. Our support system runs on this email address, and it not working is bad for us and our clients.

It may be worth noting that emails sent by exim get received right away.
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Re: Incoming email messages hung, then flushed at once day(s) after being s

Hello :)

I suggest opening a support ticket so we can reproduce this issue. You can submit a ticket using the following URL

Submit A Ticket

Post the ticket number here and we can track the issue.

Thank you.