The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Incoming Mail Getting Stuck in queue

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by diesel12, Jan 29, 2010.

1. diesel12

diesel12 Member

I've noticed lately that incoming mail addressed to users that host their domain on our server are having their mail end up in the queue instead of having it immediately hit their account.

If I manually send, the mail is immediately sent, but am wondering why this lag in queue is occurring.

As I check the queue, I can see new messages come in addressed to the same domains as those in queue at the bottom of the queue and then when I refresh, the new emails are gone as they've been delivered immediately, but some hit the queue and stay for 15 minutes or more.

Any ideas as to why some email addressed to our server isn't immediately being sent and is ending up in queue? Any feedback appreciated.

2. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Look at the message ID of the stuck messages, then look in your mail server log. For example, if the message ID is 1NbajE-000054-PG, then do this:

grep 1NbajE-000054-PG /var/log/exim_mainlog

This will show you how it arrived, and probably why it couldn't immediately deliver the message. Could be the end user's mailbox was full or who knows. Exim tries to deliver those stuck messages every so often, but the longer it can't be delivered, the longer it waits in between delivery attempts.

- Scott