Operating System & Version
CENTOS 7.8 kvm
cPanel & WHM Version
v86.0.21

Gino Viroli

Oct 2, 2007
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Is it normal that some incoming messages from external network/account are sometimes not scanned by SpamAssassin?

Looking into Exim log I have notices that messages canned by SpamAssassin are always marked in the log with a stings like these:
"Warning: "SpamAssassin as cpaccount detected message as NOT spam (-1.6)" / "SpamAssassin as cpaccount detected message as spam (6.1)"

But sometimes I receive messages that do not have SpamAssassin headers, and when I look into Exim log there is indeed no "Warning: "SpamAssassin as cpaccount detected message...".

Hence I realized that some incoming messages are not scanned by SpamAssassin at all.

There is no forwarders, and incoming messages not being scanned come from different external mail accounts that are unrelated to each other.

Just curious if other users have experienced this sort of bug, or if it's just my VPS?

Can this be caused by spamd process crashing, and while cPanel is busy restarting it the messages come in without being scanned?

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
All mail scanned by SpamAssassin will include SpamAssassin headers. The only instances in which they wouldn't be scanned is if SpamAssassin isn't forced on globally and the account doesn't have SpamAssassin enabled or if the domain has been added to one of the Exim configuration Access Lists which bypasses spam checks

kdean

Oct 19, 2012
Orlando, FL
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
One more reason it won't scan is the setting at:

Home » Service Configuration » Exim Configuration Manager

Apache SpamAssassin™: message size threshold to scan. Default is 1000 KB, so larger emails won't scan. Older servers may also have inherited the previous default which I think was something like 256 KB. So check that as well.

Gino Viroli

Oct 2, 2007
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator

Apache SpamAssassin™: message size threshold to scan. Default is 1000 KB, so larger emails won't scan. Older servers may also have inherited the previous default which I think was something like 256 KB. So check that as well.
That was the trick my friend.
Thank you!!! ;)

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston

Nice catch, I always forget about the size threshold!