The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Incoming traffic usage far more than Outgoing traffic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sagehost, Feb 8, 2011.

1. sagehost

sagehost Active Member

I've been having an issue on my co-located server for sometime now but here recently it's becoming a very pricey issue. My Outgoing traffic usage is very very large, far more than my Outgoing traffic. Take for example just last month:

Outgoing: 742GB
    Incoming: 1,400GB (1.40TB)

I've checked with my datacenter and they assure me my stats are correct and that incoming is in fact incoming and outgoing is in fact outgoing - nothing is crisscrossed. I've also checked bandwidth usage in WHM per domain and as a whole server and it very closely matches the Outgoing traffic being recorded by my datacenter.

While Google Analytics doesn't show bandwidth usage the other stats such as visitors, page views, etc are all very close to that found in my cPanel AWStats when comparing to 2 domains hosted on my server. So I know at least some of the stats show in WHM/cPanel do seem to be correct.

At any rate, what I'd like to figure out is what in the world is using 1.4TB of bandwidth coming INTO my server?!? I host about a dozen small sites for friends and family, none of which are any kind of file uploading services etc.

Can anyone give me any suggestions be it something I can do myself, software, or 2nd party that can help me pinpoint what in the world is eating up all this incoming traffic?

Any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello sagehost,

Is it one account that is using a lot of traffic in WHM > View Bandwidth Usage area? Certainly, you should be seeing one account drastically higher than the others for bandwidth.

Also, you could always sort the /usr/local/apache/domlogs logs by size to see which shows the biggest size. That should also be an indicator of higher traffic:

Code:
    ls -lah --sort=size /usr/local/apache/domlogs
    Thanks.

3. sagehost

sagehost Active Member

WHM > View Bandwidth Usage -- only shows OUTgoing bandwidth usage, not INcoming. The bandwidth usage on that page matches that shown on my datacenters Outgoing usage.

What I'm trying to figure out is where all the INcoming bandwidth is being used for, or more so why is it so incredibly high.

4. sagehost

sagehost Active Member

Anyone else?