cPanel & WHM Version

batalhadematos

Registered
May 10, 2021
Angola
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hello everyone,

I am new to CPanel and usully just for basic things.

Changes made to MX records usually are hard to test since takes time to take in effect.

I have a cpanel account but all my emails are received on Google Workspace for a quite some time with no problems.
Now I have the need to increase the number of email accounts and at the same need to lower costs but keep some email account on Google Workspace.

For this purpose I want to have some email accounts on Google Workspace, and some email accounts under my Cpanel account, but under the same domain name.

What I need:
[email protected] : Google Workspace

[email protected] : Cpanel Account

And very important:

[email protected] : Preferably hosted on Cpanel

My CPanel account is already setup to work with Google Workspace and working fine for months.
Problem now is to find a way to setup the additional accounts on Cpanel and be able to receive/send emails from both Google Workspace (account on google) and Cpanel (accounts setup on cpanel).

For being able to send/receive emails from Google Workspace, I setup my CPanel account with some DNS Entry:

1. mail.mydomain.com 14400 IN A my_cpanel_server_ip

2. MX Entries (only Google Workspace)
mydomain.com. 3600 IN MX Priority: 1 Destination: aspmx.l.google.com
mydomain.com. 3600 IN MX Priority: 5 Destination: alt1.aspmx.l.google.com
mydomain.com. 3600 IN MX Priority: 5 Destination: alt2.aspmx.l.google.com
mydomain.com. 3600 IN MX Priority: 10 Destination: aspmx2.googlemail.com
mydomain.com. 3600 IN MX Priority: 10 Destination: aspmx3.googlemail.com

3. TXT Record that includes both Google Workspace data and my Cpanel Provider data:
mydomain.com. 14400 IN TXT v=spf1 +a +mx +ip4:95.215.224.60 include:_spf.google.com include:_spf.google.com include:my_web_server_domain.com ~all

4. Under CPanel Email Deliverability I can see everything is valid.

5. Under Email Routing I have: Automatically Detect Configuration : Remote (recommended)

But... when click on more information, I get:

"
The system uses the following criteria to detect the email routing settings:

Local Mail Exchanger
Lowest numbered mail exchanger points to an IP address on this server.

Backup Mail Exchanger
Lowest numbered mail exchanger points to an IP address not on this server.

Remote Mail Exchanger (Current Detected Setting)
No mail exchangers point to an IP address on this server.

Note: Automatic detection is not possible if the configured MX records do not resolve.
"""

As per my understanding, the "Automatic Detected Configuration" is REMOTE..???
Perhaps I need to add an MX entry pointing to this server IP?

With this setup, I have created a new account on CPANEL and tried to send emails from this account for several different emails and it works for sending emails, but not for receiving emails.

Every time I send an email, the sender receives an "email not found" error.

My question is:
What additional steps I have to take care of in order to be able to send/receive emails from both Google Workspace and Cpanel?

I have done nothing in Google Workspace besides basic account setup, account verification, emails setup, direct delivery.

- I have registered an MX record for mydomain on CPANEL (priority 2) - pointing to mail.mydomain.com that has the my_cpanel_server_ip as destination;
- I need to know what steps in Google Workspace I should take;

UPDATE:
- Registered a new MX record to point to my CPANEL account and I my test email account can receive emails from everyone even outside my domain.

mydomain.com 14400 IN MX Priority: 0
Destination: mail.mydomain.com

With this update, I can send emails from all accounts (Google Workspace and CPanel test account), and receive emails on every account EXCEPT for Google Workspace accounts.

Is there a default alias domain for Google Workspace I can use to setup a forwarder for each account I have on CPANEL account for the emails I have on Google Workspace?

Something like:

[email protected]_domain

Last edited by a moderator:

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! Google has some details on how this can be configured on their end here:

Can you try that and see if that helps for your situation?

batalhadematos

Registered
May 10, 2021
Angola
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hey there! Google has some details on how this can be configured on their end here:

Can you try that and see if that helps for your situation?
Thank you @cPRex
In fact before posting this message on forum, I have tried to find a solution in Google side itself.
And Yes. I believe they have a solution on their side for this, but... is there anyone who understands google support system? :)
Tried to follow your link and after opening almost 20 tabs I feel I should don't even try any of they're instructions.

I am really looking for an easier solution other using Google support for this. ;)

- I have direct delivery setup on google and all my email accounts receive and send emails from google side to any email server;
- I have created a test account on my CPanel, and this account can send email to everyone;

Problem is, test account on cpanel does not receive any email, and the sender receives a message :
"
550 5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. ...
"

Question (your experience please):
- Do I require an MX record on my CPANEL for my mail server (CPanel itself). YES. Higher or lower priority than Google MX records (5 MX records)?
- Do I have to setup anything on google side? I want to use my CPanel accounts as the primary server and just use Google Workspace for 2/3 emails
- Not have to create new accounts on Google side

I just want to keep this 2/3 Google emails to send and receive emails (easier UI and apps available) and all other emails to be managed by Cpanel.

As I stated, changing MX records takes time to test and we never know if things are well defined mainly in my situation since I understand nothing about DNS and MX records.

Thank you once again

EDIT:
For my understanding:
- If I create an MX record for my Cpanel with a lower number in order (higher priority), will not receive emails in Google;
- If I create an MX record for my Cpanel with a higher number in order (lower priority), will not receive emails in Cpanel account... unless I setup anything else!

Last edited:

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The MX records are the issue - they need to be set to point to Google, but then all email will get delivered there. There isn't a supported method for that type of split delivery outside of using the noted Google tools. Reaching out to their support might be easier than trying to work through their docs.

batalhadematos

Registered
May 10, 2021
Angola
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hello everyone,
After spending 3/4 hours chating with google support I get the idea the problem is not solved.
I was instructed on some steps (most os them already taken by me) and ended up setting up an SMTP relay.

Google suporter requested me 24h to wait for the changes to propagate... but I have a feeling that the problem will remain the same.

At this stage I have some accounts on Google Suite and other accounts on CPanel. There's no foward setup for the emails. GS Emails registered on GS and CPanel users registered on CPanel.

GS users receives and send email to any email address.

CPanel user are able to send but do not receive emails. The senders receives an error message:

550 Please turn on SMTP Authentication in your mail client. mail-qv1-f69.google.com [209.85.219.69]:56934 is not permitted to relay through this server without authentication.

Anyway, will wait for the relay settings to take effect...

Any idea?