The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Incompatibility Mysql 4.0.x and NPTL please clarify

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eva2000, May 24, 2006.

1. eva2000

eva2000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    As i understand the latest WHM notice below means there are 2 issues to deal with for NPTL based systems ?

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Issue 1.
    For security issues fix is to update to MySQL 4.0.27 or 4.1.19 or 5.0.21 according to the mysql.com changelogs

i.e.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/news-4-0-27.html

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/news-4-1-19.html

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/news-5-0-21.html

all list

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Issue 2.
    Compatibility issues with NPTL based systems with MySQL 4.0.24 and higher 4.0.xx versions. But only some folks are affected and some have no problems ? As you stated in what i highlighted in bold
    Can you elaborate on the 2nd issue ? there's been hundreds of CentOS 4 based servers running for ages with 4.0.25 at least with WHM users and most don't seem to have issues that I am aware of ???

#1 eva2000, May 24, 2006
    Last edited: May 24, 2006
  2. eva2000

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    #2 eva2000, May 24, 2006
  3. nocser

nocser Member

Hello

I need help. I follow as per instruction in WHM to upgrade my MYSQL from 4.0.x to 4.1.18-standard. After the upgrade seem all my script not working correctly. Some never load, some not fully load and some loaded to login page but not login after enter correct password and user name.

I able to access via ssh and whm. No use even after I force update mysql. Server status all fine (green)

Urgent help needed please

4. eva2000

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    read http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/upgrading-from-4-0.html

1. Important backup mysql databases on 4.0.xx server first via mysqldump to sql files
    2. Run mysql_fix_privileges_tables script

On WHM based servers with CentOS, you'll find it at

/usr/bin/mysql_fix_privilege_tables

3. Best way to eliminate the listed incompatibilities between 4.0.xx and 4.1.xx tables at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/upgrading-from-4-0.html is to mysqldump your databases to sql files and reimport them into newly updated MySQL 4.1.xx server created new empty databases :)

#4 eva2000, May 24, 2006
  5. nocser

nocser Member

Can I know how to mysqldump the old version 4.0? I already upgraded to 4.1.x?

When I run mysql_fix_privileges_tables, I got this error

================
    This is needed if you want to use the new GRANT functions,
    CREATE AGGREGATE FUNCTION, or the more secure passwords in 4.1

Got a failure from command:
    /usr/bin/mysql --no-defaults --force --user=root --host=localhost --database=mysql
    Please check the above output and try again.

Running the script with the --verbose option may give you some information
    of what went wrong.

If you get an 'Access denied' error, you should run this script again and
    give the MySQL root user password as an argument with the --password= option
    ================

many thanks

6. gemby

gemby Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
  7. nocser

nocser Member

I update php to 4.4.2. Some of the script seem like ok. Some are not. Some show "Internal Server Error"

Any help?

8. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

I doubt you'd get much help posting such a vague question in a thread that isn't relevant to PHP.

If you have phpsuexec enabled, which is likely if you're getting HTTP 500 errors with PHP scripts, search the forums for solutions as they're all out there somewhere!

9. ctbhost

ctbhost Well-Known Member

i have the same problem and get the same error when i run mysql_fix_privileges_tables

10. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

If you didn't mysqldump before upgrading to MySQL 4.1.x, then it is a little too late. You'll have to get your databses from the backup.

11. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    mysql_fix_privileges_tables --password=[mysql root password]

12. Tapan

Tapan Well-Known Member

Hi,

So the issue is that one should update or not ?
    Atleast PSM suggested me not to update unless i am having problems which i am not.

Thanks.

13. MaxPowers

MaxPowers Member

4.0.26 worked great for me until I tried to install software that required at least 4.1.13

I installed 4.1.19 and went through every process outlined here and at the MySQL site... restored my backup DB's, rebuilt Apache/PHP, ran the code to get longer password fields (successfully), I even rebooted the server...

Every login on my server is dead (500 HTTP). From phpBB to CubeCart to my own homegrown login scripts. The stores show products, stats from the DB show on my pages, everything else is fine...

I've toggled 4.0 and 4.1 passwords back and forth with no joy.

Any additional input?

Should I try 5.0 or will that just worsen matters? how would I go about reverting to 4.0.26?

#13 MaxPowers, Jul 14, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  14. katmai

katmai Well-Known Member

usually rebuilding apache with /scripts/easyapache should do the trick ... worked for me as for dozens of users here on the forum.

i ment after mysql upgrade, apache rebuilding is compulsory if you want your pages to load.

15. MaxPowers

MaxPowers Member

I did rebuild Apache, but not using that method... I used the CPanel web interface to do it. I'm rebuilding again with easyapache and I'll get back to you on what happens.

16. MaxPowers

MaxPowers Member

Using that specific method (instead of buildapache) got me somewhere... it's not where I want to be, but I think I can get it from here... Thanks for the advice.

CPanel text on the upgrade area is ambiguous as to which method to use... or I'm just a special case :)

17. dawntreader

dawntreader Registered

okay, I've been having a few problems with(I believe) software on my server
    I think it's a problem with php/msql because when I go into the root WHM I get an error about mysql but when I do what it says to fix it it stays the same. I also have been having trouble installing some php scripts, and I'm not entirely sure, but I think they've all been ones that used mysql and a few other scripts I had installed and working fine have just stopped working. My server is running CentOS 4.3

when I login to my WHM cpanel, I get the following message;

"Important Notice: Incompatible versions of Mysql 4.0.x and NPTL based systems.
    If you are running a newer linux system which is NPTL based (CentOS 4, Fedora 3+, RHE 4, etc) and are having problems with MySQL 4.0.x (versions later then 4.0.23*), we recommend upgrading to MySQL 4.1.x as we have determined that there are compatibility issues on these platforms. You can easily upgrade to 4.1.x by changing the Mysql Version in Tweak Settings
    If you are worried about compatibility with MySQL 4.0, be sure to check the box labeled: Use old style (4.0) passwords with mySQL 4.1. in Tweak Settings.
    If you are unsure if your system is NPTL based, run getconf GNU_LIBPTHREAD_VERSION at the command line and see if it displays NPTL.
    * 4.0.23 does not have any known issues, but is subject to security vulnerabilities: http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2006-1516, http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2006-1517 "

I've done what it suggested two or three times, and it seems to show no change. I did the getconf and confirmed that the system is NPTL.

when I get to the install script on a php program, whether or not I've entered details manually into the config file, it'll usually show the first page that you're supposed to see but when I click next, in firefox it tries to save the install.php file but can't open it, in IE it says the connection was lost. I get the same result on my Windows XP desktop and laptop and on my Kubuntu Linux machine.

I tried to upgrade mysql to version 5, by searching the CentOS forums for info on it, but it didn't work, I think I didn't have the right addresses or something, and it just... didn't work(never installed it or anything) and I'm not sure why.

I restarted mysql and apache and I tried to reboot the server, first a graceful restart which failed, then a forceful reboot, which also failed.

Another small problem I've been having is with ftp accounts created through other accounts. Like, the main ftp account for a domain or whatever works fine, but when I try to create another one in the cpanel, I get a 530 Login incorrect error when I try to use it. I've tried this with several created ftp accounts, so it can't just be a typo. I don't know if this could possibly be related, so I included it as well.

I've contacted the company I rent my server from, and they indicated that updating and restarting all those things *should* have fixed the message at least, but it didn't, so short of reformatting and starting over, they suggested that I look at the cpanel forum.

any help would be appreciated, thanks!

#17 dawntreader, Jul 14, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  18. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    LOL, the message is generic and will stay there till cPanel takes it off. It has nothing to do with the version of Mysql you're running.

19. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Did you follow the instructions given on how to upgrade MySQL at WHM >> Server Configuration >> Tweak Settings >> MySQL
    1) Seclect either v4.x or v5.x
    2) check "Use old style (4.0) passwords with mySQL 4"

When doen, run these commands at the prompt:

3) /scripts/mysqlup
    4) /scripts/easyapache
    5) /scripts/perlinstaller --force Bundle::DBD::mysql

If every thing goes fine, you shouldn't have any problem with either MySQL and/or Php.

That means Php wasn't compiled successfully.

Follow the 5 steps mentioned above.

:eek: :confused:

20. dawntreader

dawntreader Registered

The first two steps were the ones that I'd done so many times with no effect. I did them again, and followed with the last three of the five.

3 and 4 worked fine, but when I tried 5 I got

Warning: Cannot install Bundle:BD::mysql, don't know what it is
    Try the command

i /Bundle:BD::mysql/

but when I tried to use i /Bundle:BD::mysql/ I got command not found

but I tested things and they seem to be working now. It doesn't seem like I need to reinstall scripts or anything, so I guess that's enough steps for that for now at least.

I'm a bit new still at Linux and command line, so thanks for all the help!