The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

incorrect disk usage reports

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pr-design, Feb 3, 2003.

  1. pr-design

    pr-design Member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2003
    Messages:
    24
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    On my server the disk usage for my users is reported incorrectly. For example, one account is using roughly 24 megabytes (I tar'ed the site and downloaded to my hard disk, program reported unpacked size is about 24mb.) but whm & cpanel from their account login says is is using 55 megabytes. all the accounts are reported incorrectly. my friend also has cpanel and this problem exists for him too. i have run /scripts/fixquotas and that doesnt do anything.
    some info on my system:
    Processor: intel celeron 1.7 ghz
    Memory: 512 mb ram
    Hard disk: EIDE 60022Mb CHS=7297/255/63 UDMA(100)
    mount: /dev/hda8 42gb used 365mb.
     
  2. krellen

    krellen Member

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2002
    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Same problem here. I did a search and there are a whole bunch of system files owned by that user that shouldn't be. very strange.

    Any fix for this? My client is 158MB over quota because of it.
     
  3. pr-design

    pr-design Member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2003
    Messages:
    24
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    krellen, do you have Analog stats enabled in your tweak settings section? im not positive on this but after i turned analog off, i think one accounts disk usage went from 22mb to 8mb. im not positive because i was only doing it to conserve space, not actually test to see if that was causing it. i turned analog back on to see if the usage will go up over time. if you do have it enable see what will happen if you disable analog.
     
  4. xnull

    xnull Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2001
    Messages:
    156
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    This is a bug that has existed/been fixed several times in the past I believe.

    I created 2 new accounts on our server within the past 5 days - both plagued by this. One should have 50mb and it says 48.01mb is already used; the other should have 300mb and it says 232mb is already used. Neither account has been used yet, however!
     
  5. pr-design

    pr-design Member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2003
    Messages:
    24
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    yeah, i was wrong about the stats. there is just a bunch of files that are owned by the user that shouldnt be. here is an example below:

    /home/cpins/installd/wp-cpup/perl-5.6.1/vms/make_command.com
    /home/cpins/installd/wp-cpup/perl-5.6.1/vms/mms2make.pl
    /home/cpins/installd/wp-cpup/perl-5.6.1/vms/munchconfig.c
    /home/cpins/installd/wp-cpup/perl-5.6.1/vms/myconfig.com
    /home/cpins/installd/wp-cpup/perl-5.6.1/vms/perlvms.pod
    /home/cpins/installd/wp-cpup/perl-5.6.1/vms/perly_c.vms
    /home/cpins/installd/wp-cpup/perl-5.6.1/vms/perly_h.vms
    /home/cpins/installd/wp-cpup/perl-5.6.1/vms/sockadapt.c
    /home/cpins/installd/wp-cpup/perl-5.6.1/vms/sockadapt.h
    /home/cpins/installd/wp-cpup/perl-5.6.1/vms/test.com
    /home/cpins/installd/wp-cpup/perl-5.6.1/vms/vms.c
    /home/cpins/installd/wp-cpup/perl-5.6.1/vms/vms_yfix.pl
    /home/cpins/installd/wp-cpup/perl-5.6.1/vms/vmsish.h
    /home/cpins/installd/wp-cpup/perl-5.6.1/vms/vmspipe.com
    /home/cpins/installd/wp-cpup/perl-5.6.1/vms/writemain.pl
    /home/cpins/installd/wp-cpup/perl-5.6.1/vos
    /home/cpins/installd/wp-cpup/perl-5.6.1/vos/Changes
    /home/cpins/installd/wp-cpup/perl-5.6.1/vos/build.cm
    /home/cpins/installd/wp-cpup/perl-5.6.1/vos/compile_perl.cm
    /home/cpins/installd/wp-cpup/perl-5.6.1/vos/config.alpha.def
    /home/cpins/installd/wp-cpup/perl-5.6.1/vos/config.alpha.h
    /home/cpins/installd/wp-cpup/perl-5.6.1/vos/config.ga.def
    /home/cpins/installd/wp-cpup/perl-5.6.1/vos/config.ga.h
    /home/cpins/installd/wp-cpup/perl-5.6.1/vos/config.pl

    ...and strangely a bunch more files from the perl folder
    i wonder what causes it and if there will be a fix?
     
  6. dgbaker

    dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2002
    Messages:
    2,578
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario Canada
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The cause is very simple.

    We you get software from somewhere like cpan for example, that is packaged up on a *nix box, it also packages the uid:guid with it.

    When you unpack it the uid:guid try to match with what is in your /etc/passwd and /etc/group file. If there is a numerical match that name and group becomes the owners. If no match the files are then owned by the uid and guid numbers like; 3500:512 sample.

    Whenever new software is brought onto a server you should always to a chown -R on all the files in that tree structure to ensure that they are owned correctly.
     
Loading...

Share This Page