The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Incorrect hostname

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JRicketts, Jan 27, 2013.

1. JRicketts

JRicketts Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am setting up a Centos 5.x server, I have downloaded the CentOS-5.7-i386-cPanel.iso and installed Centos without a flaw, when the system reboots as it states in the directions provided:

To install CentOS, packaged with cPanel & WHM:

Download a free CentOS DVD ISO from our website.
    Burn the ISO to CD or DVD, and install it on your server.
    Upon its first reboot, the ISO will install cPanel & WHM in the background.

You have an option weather to view the install which I do and this is what I get:

490 ( INFO) Validating that 'webserver' is a FQDN
    ERROR
    ERROR etc....

Your hostname (webserver) isn't set properly change your hostname to a fully qualified domain name, and re-run the installer....

now I wanted to make sure, I do have a static IP, Gateway etc from Comcast. When it says domain does it mean my actual domain? The reason i ask this is because I was using Debian before and that is how I had it was my
    hostname and then my domain name? So is it all just one in CentOs?

Again thank you for your patience and understanding and thanks for all the advice!

2. Greenhost

Greenhost Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You should open /etc/hostname file and write what ever you want like example.domain.com. You have to have subdomain/FQDN (e.g. example.domain.com) in this file, It isn't necessary to be valid domain. But it's better to use one of your domain that you will your DNS ant write ns1.yourdomain.com .
    It's not just fore CentOs, every OS has won way to set up this.

3. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The hostname of every Linux server must be a fully qualified domain name. The message is telling you that the hostname is not valid. You can learn what a fully qualified domain name is here:

Fully qualified domain name - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your hostname cannot be just a domain name, and it cannot start with www. If, for example, I wanted to use mybigdomain.com for hosting, then polaris.mybigdomain.com or neptune.mybigdomain.com would be valid hostnames, but mybigdomain.com would not be valid, and www.mybigdomain.com would not be valid.

Many administrators use "host" or "server" as the first part of their hostnames, but you may want to be more creative as in my examples, and using a unique scheme can be very useful if you ever plan to have more than one server.

Greenhost's advice is only partially correct. You need to change the hostname both in /etc/hosts, and in /etc/sysconfig/network. After you have changed the hostname in both files, run this command:

Code:
    # hostname $newhostname
    Replace $newhostname with the new hostname you put in /etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig/network. You do not need to reboot the server.

4. JRicketts

JRicketts Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you so much! I was able to get everything installed and running correct. I have another questions but will start another post thanks for everyone help :)

5. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You are most welcome.