The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Incorrect / Incomplete Bandwidth Stats

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by encryption, Oct 7, 2007.

1. encryption

encryption Well-Known Member

Hello

The DataCenter where I rent my servers has charged me a large penalty for going over my bandwidth limit saying I used 1.83 TeraBytes of Bandwidth for September however WHM shows me total BW consumptiopn for that month is only 1.16 Terrabytes (1160.78 Gig - 1188643.15 Meg)

Server is running WHM/Cpanel on Fedora Core4.

Am I missing something ? Does WHM/CPanel not document certain types of Bandwidth ?

2. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

WHM is definitely not accurate. You should always use your data center portal to keep an accurate eye on bandwidth metering.

3. Stefaans

Stefaans Well-Known Member

I agree with jayh38, the WHM numbers often miss the mark by a big margin. The main problem seem to be that not all email bandwidth is not accounted for. For example, the bandwidth numbers (same with EximStats) only includes the incoming portion of email that was relayed through the server. Email outgoing from the server, including email sent via WebMail, is simply not counted.

FTP bandwidth (at least when using PureFTP) is not counted either. In "normal" situations this is not a big deal though, but the principle is that the log data exists but it is not considered by WHM.

The WHM numbers are useful to find identify high bandwidth users in many cases, but by no means accurate enough for billing purposes.

4. encryption

encryption Well-Known Member

yea but nearly 400 gb of it ?

5. excessnet

excessnet Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm having the same problem here... WHM said 158 GB but Datacenter said 410 GB.

Hope there's a fix !

6. mightydude

mightydude Registered

Little late reply I guess, but...

Install MRTG or something on your server, or use your datacenters bandwidth monitor instead of WHM as that is what you will be billed by...not WHM's bandwidth monitor.

Also, if you install any other programs that is not web / mail related such as streaming services, it will not count those.

For example, I run some shoutcast servers on a server I have. I do about 3.8TB / month on this server, but WHM says I only do 148Gigs approximately.

So yes, WHM/cpanel can be off by such a large amount.