Incramental Local & Full Remote Backup Plan

davetanguay

Mar 30, 2008
I'd like to do a daily, weekly & monthly incremental backup to the secondary hard drive and a full weekly backup to a remote FTP server.

It is possible to have 2 configs for the WHM Backup? One with the incremental settings and schedule... and the 2nd one for full remote backups?

This is a required capability which is missing from WHM.

Does anyone know a way to accomplish this?

eth00

PartnerNOC
Mar 30, 2003
NC
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
No but you could always use something like nc_ftp to upload it to a remote ftp server. Just keep in mind you may want to tar it up before sending it over.

Another option is something like bqbackups rsync backups

davetanguay

Mar 30, 2008
Any ideas if cPanel will be including this feature in the future? I'm surprised it's not available now. I know I'm not the only one that wants to do local and remote backups.

Last edited:

eth00

PartnerNOC
Mar 30, 2003
NC
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
You could ask in the features and suggestion section.

Honestly the remote ftp backups are generally not the most reliable and they also are very cpu intensive since you have to compress everything.

davetanguay

Mar 30, 2008
Currently I do incremental daily, weekly and monthly backups to a secondary drive. I am happy with those but I need a remote backup too.

I'd like to sync or just upload weekly these backups with a FTP server which is a XP Pro machine with Filezilla Server on it.

Any ideas what script I can use to sync the backups on my secondary drive to my Filezilla FTP server?

It would also be nice to compress each user's backup folder as a separate file on the FTP server.

eth00 thanks for your suggestion with nc_ftp and compressing to a tar before sending. Do you have an example script I can use for this?