The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Increase e-mail delivery with multiple mx records?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by droidman, Sep 30, 2011.

1. droidman

droidman Active Member

I know that i can create more than one MX record, my doubt is if that will increase the email delivery.
    for example, if the primary mx for domain.com is mail.domain.com if i create something like this:
    mail1.domain.com priority 10
    mail2.domain.com priority 10
    mail2.domain.com priority 10
    and all with diferent ip's for each subdomain, would this increase the delivery and reduce bouncing ?

another thing, if my mail marketing software uses SMTP connections or phpmail, would it send from those random subdomains ?

thanks in advance.

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The purpose of multiple MX records is to have different machines available if the primary machine becomes unavailable for some reason. If all the subdomains will be on the same machine, there would be little reason to use multiple MX records. MX records with the same priority for all will try the first record first and only try the next record if the first becomes available. MX records with the same priority are not handled in a round robin fashion at all. Please see the following discussion on MX records to review this type of scenario:

MX record - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Next, your mail marketing software will use the main server's IP for sending if using the PHP mail() function. It will use either the main server IP or the IP set in /etc/mailips if using SMTP authentication.

3. droidman

droidman Active Member

ok good explanation really.
    do you have an idea on how i could improve deliverability ?
    or is it just a matter of using a diferent mailing software that allows me to use diferent smtp's with limits in each one of them etc.