Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

increase /var size?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Silverado, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Silverado

Silverado Well-Known Member

I just recently aquired an older server to use as a test server.
    It has a very small /var partition. I was wondering how I could increase the size of it from 500Mb to 3.8 gigs.
    Thank you in advance.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

Format the machine & reinstall or symlink directories in /var over to another partition with more space.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Snowman30

Snowman30 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I know this is an old post but i thought i would raise the issue im having here...

I have a server which has /var at about 85% due to the enourmous amount of databases running on the server.

can anyone give me a fool proof way to increase the size of the /var partition ithout causing server issues, downtime etc?

Im running this particular server with WHM on a Fedora FC2 if that makes a difference

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The only fool-proof way is to do exactly what ciphervendor suggested, or add another physical HD and move the /var partition contents onto it and then mount it as /var.