The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Increased mailscanner loads since update to 11

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by verdon, Jun 10, 2007.

1. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

Something has increased my avg server loads since updating to WHM/cPanel 11 this week. I'm fairly sure that it is mailscanner, specifically, MailScanner: checking with SpamAssassin

Has anyone else noticed a consistently higher load since the update? Any thoughts on what to do about it?

2. drose25

drose25 Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm seeing the same problem, though I'm not sure what's causing it. The upgrade to 11 also sent mysqld on cpu-crunching spree, but that seems to have settled down now.

3. vengefuldeath87

ive also got these issues, i believe that mailscanner uses mysql, so the two having high loads are connected.

4. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No ideas, eh? Sometimes I have 2 or 3 of these processes running at a time, each using 70-110% of CPU. They run for up to to 2 or 2.5 minutes and then disappear. I'm sure these are the cause of my higher than usual server loads.

31156 mailnull 16 0 87704 78M 3212 S 85.7 7.9 1:35 0 MailScanner: checking with SpamAssassin

5. biggdogg285

biggdogg285 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have this problem on my servers also.

I normally run at 0.50, and now I run at 2.00 pecent.

Top Processes
    mailnull 9.16 26.33 0.0
    Top Process %CPU 85.0 MailScanner: checking with SpamAssassin
    Top Process %CPU 80.9 MailScanner: checking with SpamAssassin
    Top Process %CPU 74.0 MailScanner: waiting for messages

11935 mailnull 17 0 81156 65M 3488 S 17.9 6.5 1:25 0 MailScanner: checking with SpamAssassin

#5 biggdogg285, Jun 13, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  6. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just curious... do you have mailscanner installed yourself or are you using chirpy's service? Also, do you know what version of spamassassin you are running? I'm running 3.20 but I know that vanilla cpanel setups on 11 are being held back to 3.18. I've read some of the threads on that and don't seem to be having any of the problems that people are having with 3.20, but I have noticed a few no scoring, "SpamAssassin not cached, timed out" messages.

I'm wondering if there's a relationship to these things. Chirpy, do you have any thoughts? I didn't notice anything on your forums or blog along these lines.

7. biggdogg285

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    All of my installs Chripy and his group did...

WHM 11.1.0 cPanel 11.4.11-C13914
    REDHAT Enterprise 3 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

8. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Same for my mailscanner install. I think (not really sure) that may be why my spamassassin is not being held back to 3.1.8 like most v11 users. I'm not sure if that's any kind of problem, just an observation.

9. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

by default mailscanner does not use mysql. Only if you use chirpy's package with mailwatch that it will use mysql. Let's hope chirpy have some answer to this problem because so far I see this upgrade to 11 is a little disastrous. I am withholding my upgrade until all these problems are solved especially the spamassassin and exim changes that cpanel team did.

10. biggdogg285

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I disabled mailwatch to see if the load decreased any...

mailnull 11.60 20.73 0.0
    Top Process %CPU 91.0 MailScanner: checking with SpamAssassin
    Top Process %CPU 83.6 MailScanner: checking with SpamAssassin
    Top Process %CPU 82.0 MailScanner: checking with SpamAssassin

Haven't noticed anything less.

11. njak

njak Member

I've had this same problem and think I have fixed it by doing the following:

1) If you have still not converted from mbox to maildir, that helps. Instructions for that are here:

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=66166

2) Check your MailScanner configuration file - if the virus scanner is set to use clamav try changing it to clamavmodule - my CPU load dropped instantly.

3) Check your php.ini file for:

[MySQL]
    ; Allow or prevent persistent links.
    mysql.allow_persistent = On

If you do not need persistent connections, then change this to "Off" and save, then reboot the httpd server (Apache). You can now edit the php.ini file in WHM under "Service Configuration" but to get to this setting you must go to the Advanced Configuration. You will still need to reboot Apache after this.

Making the changes in #2 and #3 made incredible speed changes in my VPS's. I have to thank Chirpy for these two bits of advice somewhere in posts in this forum. And for his great service which I could not live without!!!!

Hope this helps - I've been pulling my hair out over why my servers seemed to be set up the same way, but one was extremely fast, one was OK and one was extremely slow - they all had differences in these settings and the fastest one was the newest one and was set up originally with the maildir format while the other two were holdouts until this mornings when I woke up to hundreds of emails stuck in each queue. Even after the conversion the one was still very slow until I switched from clamav to clamavmodule and the CPU load dropped from around 1.9 to 0.3 and has stayed there all day.

Julie

12. biggdogg285

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the suggestions Julie!

Unfortunatly, my setup was already as you have mentioned.

I hope this helps someone though.

Thanks!

13. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes Julie. thanks also.

My server is already setup like that (except for the persistent connections). Also mine is a dedicated and not a vds.

I'll give the persistent connections a try, but I think the real issue for me is somewhere else.

14. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't really thing mysql is part of the puzzle for me. When I review 'Main >> Server Status >> CPU/Memory/MySQL Usage' the only thing that is flagging as red is this...

mailnull 38.01 29.44 0.0
    Top Process %CPU 162 MailScanner: checking with SpamAssassin
    Top Process %CPU 97.4 MailScanner: checking with SpamAssassin
    Top Process %CPU 97.2 MailScanner: checking with SpamAssassin

15. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

have you tried turning off virus scanning? See if virus scanning is causing the load.

16. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi abubin,

I haven't tried that yet. I know it will reduce the load and will in a last ditch attempt. That said, I've been running with my current setup and a manageable server load for a year or more. The only thing that has changed (AFAIK) and has pushed the server load high is the update to cp v11

17. devourer

devourer Member

I have all the settings as described in the previous message (conversion to maildir and calmavmodule) and I have the same problem.

User Domain %CPU %MEM Mysql Processes
    mailnull 34.03 5.00 0.0
    Top Process %CPU 77.8 MailScanner: waiting for messages
    Top Process %CPU 72.2 MailScanner: waiting for messages
    Top Process %CPU 25.3 MailScanner: waiting for messages

18. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Disabling virus scanning didn't make very much difference. Disabling mailscanner altogether made a big difference though. Obviously a little too extreme. I'm trying a few suggestions from configserver support to see if I can get some relief and will post back here if anything is found. BTW... I have run Mailscanner in debug mode and that didn't provide anything helpful either.

I'm beginning to suspect the problem is a result of a combination of things, of which mailscanner is only one. Perhaps my OS (CentOS 3.8) or my kernel (2.6.17.11) are just too old for cp 11. Who knows. My memory seems OK.

I feel too far committed to cp 11 to go back, but something since the update has made my average server loads increase 200-400% It's discouraging.

19. krisdv

krisdv Well-Known Member

Hi,

Any update on this one? Did you manage to get the load down using mailscanner?

Im in doubt if I should use clamavconnector or mailscanner + clamav, any suggestions?

20. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Nothing really concrete in terms of a solution or single answer. I went through all sorts of stuff like force reinstalling of exim, spamassassin, mailscanner, and so on. That helped, but not enough. Then tweaked a few things in mysql and apache also that although unrelated, did help to optimize the server. In general, things are back to a more acceptable state.

Overall though, my avg server load is still at least double what it was before cp 11. I can no longer blame this strictly on mailscanner, I have no idea what it is. It doesn't seem to be hugely widespread, but I don't think I'm the only one with such higher avg server loads recently.