The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Increasing Time out and correct protocol

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Website Rob, Nov 28, 2002.

1. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Can anyone explain to me, where I can edit (in WHM or command line and path) the settings to increase the &timeout& for a FTP connection? Default is 300 seconds and I would like to bump that up some.

Along the same lines, I noticed in both, WHM & Cpanel, specific references to making sure one uses the &ftp& at the front of a Domain Name when using FTP access. Now I have never had a problem leaving it off and things seemed to work just fine.

Does any have experience with not using the &ftp& and running into problems?

I know this is probably a &dumb question& since it flies in the face of what Documentation says &should be& done, but I'm trying to make it idiot proof. Some Clients will read that notice (to make sure &ftp& is used) and follow it, some will ignore it, some will ask the exact same question I am now.

I would like to know how to respond and know the information I'm giving will be correct -- each time every time. Makes it easier to create Tutorials as well. ;)

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

This thread, http://forums.cpanel.net/read.php?TID=3017 may be what you want.

I never put ftp in front of the domain and don't even tell clients to either. I just tell them to ftp to domain.com.

3. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Update

Thanks for the pointer, Squirrel. From that post and a few others, this is what I found works:

Open /etc/proftpd.conf and find this line:

DefaultRoot ~ !wheel

Below it add:

TimeoutLogin 900
    TimeoutIdle 900
    TimeoutNoTransfer 900

Don't forget to restart proftpd.

12/06/02 3:05 AM Didn't work
    12/08/02 4:18 PM It did work

Obviously, there is some &caching& happening and it probably would have worked after 24hrs or next Cpanel cache refresh. Just took me a bit longer to get around to it.