The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Incremental backup bug ??!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VIPsNET, Feb 12, 2005.

1. VIPsNET

VIPsNET Active Member

hey guys,
    I'm in the process of doing back up of my servers, I chose incremental backup to a spare HDD. I'm looking at the /backup directory and files/directories are backed up properly BUT all the files/directories are owned by ROOT so if anything bad happens to the server how we can restore the system ? ie. /etc/valiases/domainname.com should be owned by user:mail and in the back up dir it is owned by root:root I'm wondring if the restore script will set the owners permissions correctly during restore? I personally doubt it. Is this a bug or am I missing something ?

2. VIPsNET

VIPsNET Active Member

I just spoke with my friend and his regular backups (not incremental) files/directories are also owned by root:root

3. cinusik

cinusik Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You're absolutely right! Same thing on all of my servers.
    WHM 10.0.0 cPanel 10.0.0-R85 and R7.

4. casey

casey Well-Known Member

That is correct. It will put the proper permissions on the files when you do the account restore.

I have a different question, though. I just did an account restore today, and it worked great...however, old files were brought back to life. Things that had been deleted weeks ago suddently came back. Is this the way it is supposed to work? Shouldn't it be clearing out the deleted files?

5. Secret Agent

Secret Agent Guest

Duplicated the issue myself. When incremental backup is enabled, it restores old files. Half the accounts are dated from January for me even though I have daily full account (inc mysql) backups enabled 7 days a week.

Did a restore and it restored from january. Anyone else know?