Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Incremental backup configuration for google drive?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Alexandros Androutsos, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Alexandros Androutsos

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello all,

I've been using compressed backup as my backup option of choice but because it uses too much space I had to have a small retention number I'd love to be able to have larger retention so I always wanted to be able to use the incremental backup option.

With version 66 I can backup on my google drive, and that might help a bit. I mean if I choose incremental backup AND google drive as a destination, how are the files saved in the Google drive? Are they still stored non-incremental? That could be the best as I can keep my Google Drive as the spot that stores full-compressed backups and have the incremental backups on my server occupying much less space.

Or Google drive will receive incremental backups as well making the recovery process really difficult, especially if you are trying to gather up the incremental files stored on the Google Drive?

Thank you.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Rsync is the only remote destination type that supports incremental backups at this time. When you select incremental backups, the system will not change or alter the state of your other non-incremental backup destinations. Thus, you'd get local incremental backups and compressed backup archives on the Google Drive destination.

Thank you.

3. Alexandros Androutsos

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ah ok. That's great

Does the system also erase old backups? Beyond the retention rate on google drive?

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Yes, backups for remote destinations will follow the retention settings you have configured in "WHM >> Backup Configuration".

Thank you.

5. Alexandros Androutsos

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well I don't mind keeping all the backups on my Google drive so is there anyway that I can disable the function of deleting the files from my Google drive?

Also what will happen to my old back ups that I have as compressed back ups on my server when I start using the incremental backups?

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

There's currently no support for separate retention configurations on a per-destination basis, however we do have a feature request open for this at:

Ability to control retention for S3 Backup Destination

It lists Amazon S3 in the title, but it would apply to any remote destination.

The same retention period would apply to previous backups, even if they are compressed.

Thank you.

7. Alexandros Androutsos

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

So that means that incremental backups will start and at the same time the previous compressed backup system will start "fading away" making more and more hard disk space available as time goes by untill all compressed backups expire and I'm left only with incremental backups?