The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Incremental Backup Folder Function

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dezagus, Jun 5, 2014.

1. dezagus

dezagus Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Today I'm was surprised checking my server full. 50% of the disk was composed by backup which I delete daily and other 50% is other thing that I do not know. I take like habit delete the oldest backup, so I'm surprised by get the disk full cuz I'm never change my files or forget my rutine (habit) of delete the oldest backup.

I delete too all backup by month and week, but is other folder that I do not touch it, it's the "incremental" folder, so I guess about this folder take part of my HDD and I don't take note about that.

So, how can I clean my cPanel server (only used by me)?
    And, what is that "incremental" folder, is just an simple incremental backup or something else?

Thank you guys!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The following document is a good place to start when attempting to determine what is utilizing disk space on your system:

[URL="http://documentation.cpanel.net/display/CKB/How+to+Manage+your+Hard+Drive+Space]Managing HD Space[/URL]

The "incremental" backup directory is intended for incremental backups, assuming you have enabled that option in your backup configuration.

Thank you.

3. dezagus

dezagus Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Yes I use the same commands to find weight files and folders. What will happen if I delete incremental backup folder? Is just a backup folder? Nothing special?

Thank you by quick answer!

4. dezagus

dezagus Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This temporal folder consumption, is ok?

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It will remove backup data, so it's up to you if want that data removed or not. As far as your second question, you should not delete the entire /tmp partition. Instead, search for "tmpwatch" on our forums here and you will see several threads on how to free up space in the /tmp partition.

Thank you.