The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

incremental backup, rsync not copying databases?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by haxxor23, Nov 29, 2008.

1. haxxor23

haxxor23 Member

hello,

I run cpbackup daily incremental. I have a 400 mb database which gets dumped to the mysql directory.

however, when i run rsync, it only shows 180 megabytes transferred, that includes all the files and databases on all accounts.

the question is, shouldn't the rsync copy the database all over again every time its generated? that should be more than 400 megabytes right? or am i missing something? is only the difference copied over?

2. rrwh

rrwh Well-Known Member

Go and read how rsync works - It only transfers files that have actually changed.

Better still, take a look at what is in your original directory and compare it to the remote directory and you will see that everything is the same.

Additionally, what flags are you passing to rsync? It could be that you are doing a compressed transfer and thus saving a considerable amount of network traffic. If the file you are transferring is a simple sql dump, then it is text and highly compressable and this would account for the apparent smaller transfer.

3. haxxor23

haxxor23 Member

yes i think it maybe due to compression, also does rsync copy only differences in files? or the whole file all over if it's changed?

here's my rsync:

rsync -avz -e ssh --delete

thanks