incremental backups can only be restored from the night before

NTar

Apr 16, 2015
Netherlands
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey guys,

I've got a strange issue going around here. I've managed to step over from full backups to incremental backups, since full backups are taking waaay too much space at this time.

Unfortunately, after setting up those incremental backups, it seems I can only revert an user one day back in time. I've changed the settings a bit (to see if that was the problem), but after two weeks I can only restore a user from the night before.

I've tried to search around here, unfortunately I didn't find any solution. Could you guys please help me? My settings are listed below.

Global Settings
Backup status: Enable
Backup type: Incremental
Maximum destination timeout: 50.000 in seconds (I receive a 'completed backup' mail every night, no strange issue's here)

Scheduling and Retention
Backup daily: Monday till Sunday
Backup weekly: off
Backup monty: off

Files

Backup Accounts: Enable
Backup Suspended Accounts: Enable
Backup Access Logs: Enable
Backup Bandwidth Data: Disable
Use Local DNS: Disable

Databases

Backup SQL Databases: Per Account and Entire MySQL Directory

Configure Backup Directory

Default backup directory: /backup
Retain backups in the default backup directory: No
Mount Backup Drive as Needed: Disable

Oh, BTW: I'm running CentOS 6.6 x86_64 kvm with cPanel 11.50 (build 23) and have still 100 GB left (from 200 GB total).

Thanks!
- NTar :)

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

Per the incremental backup description:

This option allows only one backup. This option will only save changed information.

Thus, you can't retain more than one backup when utilizing this option. Feel free to vote and add your feedback to the existing feature request for multiple copies of incremental backups at:

https://features.cpanel.net/topic/incremental-backups-multiple-retention

Thank you.

NTar

Apr 16, 2015
Netherlands
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks for getting back to me. I have switched back to full - compressed - back-ups in order to retain 30 back-ups at a time.

I'll definitely vote for this function, since I have to hire 6 TB of disk space a month in order to keep my clients happy. :)