Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Incremental Backups Defined

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by maestroc, Aug 26, 2018.

1. maestroc

maestroc Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    This may seem like a silly title and noob question but I'm going to ask it anyway. With incremental backups stored remotely and with no local retention can I still pick and choose the day that I want to roll back to?

Until now I have always used full backups on a daily basis for my small hosting server (just me and a few clients). My reasoning was that the one time we had a hacking issue if I had not been making daily full backups of each account then we would have been screwed as all of the most recent two days of backups had the hacked files already in the user accounts before we noticed the hack.

I have been told several times that I should use incremental backups but in the case such as I just mentioned would I be able to roll back to the version of the accounts from three or five days ago? My understanding of rsync and incremental is that I would only have access to the previous day's backup which for me is not going to let me sleep well at night.

Could someone clear this up for me?

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @maestroc

Since v64 of cPanel we have provided the ability to have multiple incremental backups stored. Meaning you can retain multiple day's backups. We have some other forums posts on this which might be helpful as well as some documentation please see below:

Restoring Accounts from Incremental Backups

Backup Configuration - Version 74 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

I think primarily you want to ensure that the remote destination supposts rsync per the note in the documentation as follows:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...