The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Incremental backups restoration

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by iso99, May 11, 2014.

1. iso99

iso99 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I'm planning to utilize WHM's default backup tool with the incremental backup option. After reading the docs, I realize I can't add remote locations to store the backups. What I'm going to do is manually SCP (using a script) them to my backup server at a later time.

Now my question is, how do I restore a backup from the remote location? Can I tar a user's backup directory and restore them using "Restore a Full Backup/cpmove File" tool? What if I wanted to restore only a MySQL database?

Thank you.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Information on how to restore backups stored on a remote server is available here:

Remote Restoration

Note that you could restore a single MySQL database by first removing the existing tables and then restoring the .SQL backup with a command such as:

Code:
    mysql database_name < /path/to/database-backup.sql
    Thank you.

3. iso99

iso99 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Incremental backups do not allow remote storage right?

My case is, I want to copy the backups generated by cPanel to a remote server - thus, also creating retention. Copy will work automatically using bash script. I am concerned on how to restore the backup coming from the remote server that I have made.

Will creating a .tar file of a user directory then using "Restore a Full Backup/cpmove File" work? Is the directory structure generated by Incremental backup the same as what is generated in a per-cPanel backup?

Will this scenario also work: copy the whole directory from the remote server to the local backup location, then use the Backup Restoration facility in WHM? Will I be able to use the fine-grained choices of mysql only and mail only?

Thank you.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No, as mentioned in the document, you must use the command line to access and transfer your backups back to the server they will be restored on. It's acceptable to have the backup directories that were generated and not use an archive as long as incremental backups are enabled.

Thank you.