The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Incremental or Full Backup?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by freakysid, May 19, 2003.

1. freakysid

freakysid Well-Known Member

Recently I had to restore my entire server from the OS up. I had to use scripts which my server provider (Jason of pwebtech.com/dedicatednow.com) kindly wrote for me to tarball up the backups because I had been using incremental backup.

The restore did not go so well - most accounts ended up being put on the wrong IP numbers because, although almost all the accounts on the server were name based, when WHM did the restore it started assigning IPs to accounts until it ran out of IP numbers - and I can't remember what we did next but it was a big problem to fix.

At the end of the day, my server provider told me that I would be better off using full backups rather than incremental. Of course, this places a load on the server day. Also, I do a network transfer of the weekly backups to another server as well - so full backup eats up the bandwidth.

What is the story here? What do others recommend and what info an you provide on the merits of incremental versus full backup?

:)

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. dhabets

dhabets Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    How about rsyncing to a local disk and then doing full backups over the local network? Some (if not most) NOCs won't charge for internal transfer.

3. Admin356

Admin356 Active Member

The incremental backups are the same , only they aren't compressed :confused: They are kinder on the server and only update changed files each day.

You should also keep a copy of /var/named with all dns zones, etc to restore those after recreating them in WHM (if you restore accounts from any backup, it creates them with new dns zones)

Also I like to keep a copy of /etc and /var/cpanel/users /usr/local/apache/conf handy too, the backups are good, but you will find keeping those files backed up too will save time in the situation that you were in, restoring multiple accounts on a server.

4. freakysid

freakysid Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information - it is much appreciated.

:)