The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

index.html still not displaying

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pbarts100, Aug 26, 2011.

1. pbarts100

pbarts100 Registered

Hi,

I've uploaded my index.html to the public area and deleted the index.php but when I load my website (/http://www.unit20rps.co.uk) I still get the default page...

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
    Paul

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Have you updated the nameservers at your domain name registrar to point to the account?
    /http://www.intodns.com/unit20rps.co.uk

3. linkfm

linkfm Member

is it a transfer account case? if yes then allow some time for DNS propagation so that new server start showing site. Also check your domain nameservers.

4. pbarts100

pbarts100 Registered

Hi, Just to give you an update, this is my first website that I've tried to upload!!

I purchased the domain (1&1) and then through freehosting.com and cpanel i've uploaded my files (including index.html) to the public area and the homepage will not be displayed. I don't want to sound thick but I didn't realise I would have to change any domain nameservers, if I do, where do I that?

Also, infopro, thanks for the link, what do I do with this information?

Sorry once again for sounding stupid...

Paul

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    If you purchased the domain from 1&1 then they are your domain name registrar. That is where you'd edit/create your nameservers that will point to the server your site is on.

The details on the link I provided previously, only show that there are some issues with the nameservers.

I can't comment on freehosting, you'll need to speak with them to see how they prefer you pointing your domain to them, what IPs they want you to use and so on.

Both of these companies should have provided or can provide basic setup instructions I'm sure. I suggest you start there.

There's nothing stupid about asking questions, that's how you learn. It is important to ask the right people those questions though. :)

In this case, your domain name registrar and your hosting company are where you want to get started. Before bothering to upload anything, you need the domain to point to the account.

6. pbarts100

pbarts100 Registered

I've been to 1&1 and changed my DNS settings to match the hosts. It says its been sucessful but may take time for it to work. So, I hope thats it other than just waiting...

Thanks once again!

7. hostnex

hostnex Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It will take round about 24 hours for the domain to propagate properly and to work from the new servers. So be patient.