The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"index of" lists unindexed folder. need to remove visibility

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spoooner, Mar 9, 2012.

1. spoooner

spoooner Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    What happens: type my URL---> Goes to "index of" page (I want this). visually lists files/htm's I want shown, also lists images and videos directories.

What needs to happen: type my URL---> Goes to "index of" page. Shows my files (all 777 permisions) , but hide the images & videos directories already set to "no indexing", without removing execute permission.

IN PLAIN WORDS, the settings have been made to make those directories show nothing when clicked (no indexing option in cpanel), but the directories are still visible (clickable) in the "index of" and I don't want them to be.

I can make them disappear by changing permissions--->uncheck execute BUT IF I DO, the files in those directories can not be seen in the web pages that link to them.

Please help !

to filter common forum speculation---: IF YOU'RE ASKING:why do you want a "index of" page full of links to .htm and other files--ANSWER because that is exactly what I want for my own specific and unpublic reasons)(IF YOUR SOLUTION IS--- why not make my web page blank with only href links to files you want visible? ANSWER---- because I want them to automatically index what's in the root folder without having to rewrite .htm, and I don't know how to write code to do so.

2. LDHosting

LDHosting Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    #2 LDHosting, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    But wait, there's more!

Why would you want these files to be set with full write permissions?

You do not need to make files executable to be seen. 644 permissions should work just fine.

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I've moved this thread from the workarounds forum to the general discussion. The purpose of the workarounds forum would be to post workarounds rather than to inquire about issues. Please review the sticky on what the workarounds forum is intended to serve:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f402/perl-e-print-hello-world-n-252841.html

Thanks!