The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Index Of or 403 instead of my homepage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by azsnapple, Jan 11, 2016.

1. azsnapple

azsnapple Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello guys,

I'm new to c Panel and everything else when it comes to building web sites (=2 day involvement). I decided to go an easy way and base my website on WP template. I downloaded a free theme via my host just to test waters, and I remember it automatically created "wp" folder while installing it.
    When I go to my file manager and look at public_html I see "wp" right below as a subfolder. There is no index page visible under public_html, you have to open "wp" in order to see index.php
    When I tried to go to my website I saw "Index of" on a main page and 2 folders (one I deleted afterwards). I went to Index manager and chose "no indexing" in order to get rid of visible folders. Well, now I have 403 error and no idea if I have to move content from wp folder into public_html so I do not have to type www.mywebsite.com/wp in order to see my home page. Also I don't know if I can just move/copy index.php page from wp folder.
    I have not used FTP client yet, I just downloaded and started adjusting a free theme via cPanel.
    I thought public_html just scans sub-folders looking for index.php and applies the first found as a home page (you are probably laughing ;)), but apparently it does not work like this... Should I contact my hosting provider?

What do you think? Thank you.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. azsnapple

azsnapple Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thank you for your reply. Basically I assume that my problem is that I have that WP subfolder with my WP theme under public_html instead of downloading that theme directly to public_html (?) If this is the case, can I just delete the theme without any consequences and reinstall it in the right directory? It is a test run for me anyway, and I have not created any irreplaceable content yet.

Edit: Forget about what I asked and assumed. I was wrong. I just read
    Changing Your Domain Name and URLs -- it is all clear right now (well, just this part of my issue ;)) Thanks again!
    Anyone who will come across the same issue, please also read
    Giving WordPress Its Own Directory --> Moving a Root install to its own directory

#3 azsnapple, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator